Which QSCs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Are best for bass guitar application? I have been told to buy the RMX series, and I would like to use the PLX, but the other ones, are raising interst. Any one else?
  2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I've got a PLX1202 and I love it. I A/B-ed with a roughly equivalent wattage RMX before I bought it and I thought the PLX sounded a little better. It seemed to have a little more punch on faster transients. Also, the PLX are much lighter. They cost a bit more though.

3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    look for TB'er Bob Lee. on the bottom of his sig has a website for used qsc amp and gear directly from the factory at a discounted price. you may want to try that to save some money to get the PLX.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I'd go with a PLX. Oh wait I already did. The other lines such as the Powerlight and powerlight2 have features for pro sound reinforcement that you wouldn't use as a bass player, although there's nothing wrong with using one of them.
  5. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I went for the PLX. Love it. If price is a consideration, the RMX series is the bang-for-the-buck champion. My 1602 was very close, costwise, with an RMX 2450. For my use, the 1602 had the best combination of power options, stereo and bridged, into all of my cabinet combinations. It gets bloody loud without clipping. Any more volume and I'm in the PA...wait....I'm there already! I'm a Peavey fan, by nature, and I use one of their PV 2600s in the PA...but QSC has gone the extra distance, time after time, to get reliable, clean and powerful compact amps into the hands of the 'financially challenged'. Their customer service is on par with Peavey...which, for me, is saying a helluva lot!

6. I own three PLX (3002, 3002, 1202) and they work flawlessly for me. Each weighs 21 pounds.

I've owned the RMX series, and would own one again without hesitation. The primary difference is increased weight and reduced cost. I'm especially interested in obtaining an RMX 1850HD for PA subs, as it is specifically engineered for running 2 ohm loads. At 44.5 pounds, the 1850HD is more than twice the weight of a PLX.
  7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I just got a PLX 1602. One reason I got it was because I was told by a guy who used to sell pro audio gear that bassists loved them because of their punch and clarity. Plus, they are lightweight, I got it for the right price used and it has a warranty.

I was told when the QSC rep came to GC (when I worked there) was that the RMX series were practically the same as the PLX soundwise, but heavier, cheaper, and foreign made. I would have gone with the RMX, but heavy is heavy when it comes to amps, so I opted to spend a bit more bling.
  8. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The last half of your statement is true. But there is a big difference between the RMX and PLX series. In addition to being heavier, cheaper, and made in China, the RMX's circuits are simpler and are rated at higher distortion levels.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean the RMX is a bad amp. I have an RMX 1850HD in my B rig (used to be my only rig), and a PLX 2402 in my A rig. I can't really tell the difference in sound quality when used for bass amplification.

The RMX series is fine if you have a strong back and a weak budget, but go for the PLX if you have a weak back and a better budget!
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have the PLX 2402 & 3002....great amps!
    Like mentioned before, check out the QSC outlet store.....great prices! I wish they had that when I bought my PLX's:(
  10. I'm going to buy a used one at Daddy's. Proabably because I can trade in my sixer for store credit, and possibly an ampeg 2x10.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This thread is excellent.....I am glad I used the search feature.

I just bought an Eden 410XLT, and have realized my Hartke3500 ain't gonna work aynmore. :(

QSC or Crown is my choice. 700 watts at 8ohms is hard to find when money IS an object. Hehehe

I don't want to buy a smaller amp, and bridge it 'cuz then I would never be able to add a second cab.

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    use the 3500 as a preamp, and use a QSC PLX for power... i think that would be a good idea, maybe until you could afford a real preamp.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    romeoarmada.....excellent point....i have spent the past hour or so shopping for a power amp, then i reliazed i have no money for a pre-amp.....the 3500 should do just fine for that...i have never had a problem getting good tone from the 3500, just not enough power anymore....

now the problem i am having is trying to find a amp that can run both of my cabs if i need to....a 4ohm 215 at 800 watts, and a 8ohm 410 at 700 watts.....ahhhhhh gee, this is never-ending