Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Rack Bag do you Prefer???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 11, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dy'all like Warwick's Rock Bag

[​IMG]

OR

Protec's Rack bag???

[​IMG]

which is lighter, yet still sturdy???

i'm thinking of replacing my SKB case i use now for even greater portability for my 2 rack setup.

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Warwick bags are nice, I have one of their gigbags. The material is tough and durable. The bag is thickly padded, and so it's heavier than other bags. I'm assuming their rack bags share the same characteristics, since they look to be made of the same material and in the same way. Tell me how the case works out, I'm looking to shed some weight and go to a soft rack, too.:)

3. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    As noted in another thread, I have a ProTec bag and like it fine. But I have never used or even seen one of the Warwick bags, so I have no basis for comparison.

Don't forget to check the depth of the bag in relation to your amps. I fit my Stewart World 1.2 into the ProTec bag, but it took some doing. My QSC PLX 1602 fit in no problem.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx for the input guys,

bben, what do you mean you had to do to make your Stu fit in the Protec?? btw, how's it compare to SKB's ATA plain jane cases?

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I really like my two ProTec rack bags. I've got a 4 space for my WT-800/DTR-1 and a 6-space for my Navigator/PLX2402/DTR-1/Furman. They are very well built. Much better than the Kaces one that I have Crown C1000 in. I also have a ProTec gig bag for my 2X bass which is really super.

All the ProTec stuff seems to be first rate. Just be careful about the max weight.

6. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    joker, I put 1" nylon spacers between the rack and the ears on the Stewart, moving the amp 1" further forward than it would be normally. This left things just flush at the back, and left the volume knobs sticking out just a bit in the front. The front and back covers have some slack, so they close up no problem. I am careful to set the rack down upright or on its side rather than the front or back.

I found the spacers and longer rack mounting screws to go with them in my local hardware store, in the aisle with little boxes full of bolts and washers and all those little doo-dads that society can't live without. The spacers that I found are hard white nylon cylinders with a hole down the middle. Saved me from having to buy some tubing and cut short pieces for spacers.

7. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Where are the Warwick Rockbags available?

8. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    musiciansfriend.com

9. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I know - I asked both Musicians Fiend tech support and customer service if the Rockbags they had in stock were the normal depth or shallow depth bags. They couldn't tell me. All their tech support dept knows is that they are IN STOCK.

FWIW, I had a Pro Tec rack bag for several years, and it was very well-made. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice really.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    to be honest, i dunno if i wanna go with the rack bags anymore. i'm thinking those SKB ATA's cases are actually lighter. hmm...

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You mean the Roto SKBs? I don't think the ATA ones are very light - they're beefy I thought.

The Roto racks are pretty light. I just got a 4-space shallow (Roto-X) and I like it.

12. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm not sure what the point behind rack bags is. If they're heavier than SKB racks, the only benefit they'd offer is the ability to sling one from your shoulder. I imagine it would be awkward to carry 20+ lbs of equipment that way unless you could also brace it against your hip or something (I've tried carrying my drummer's cymbal bag from my shoulder, and it ain't easy.) And I'm guessing you could just attach straps to the handles of an SKB case if you wanted to carry it hands-free.

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Those roto SKB's look like they could double as ice chests. Just throw some ice in and a couple of beers and you are set to go. But they are lighter.

I use the 4-space ProTec for my WT-800 + Korg DTR-1. I just hang my bass over one shoulder and the rack bag over the other and the Bag End S15. I'm ready to travel. As far as the 6-space, it is a bit much but it is softer on the arms since it is padded but that rig doesn't go out too often, anyway. For my other rig I have the Grundorf 6-space. It's not too bad but I hate the strap handles.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I'm starting to be on Golem's side. i currently have this little 2 spacer, and its plenty light as it is. judging by the shipping weight on Zzounds, the protec 2 space bag is 17 lbs. while the SKB ATA is only 11 lbs. you'd think they'd make the rack bag to be lighter. makes you think what's the point?*shrug*

[​IMG]

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh yea, and thx for the tip, bben. :D

16. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    FWIW, my 3 space ProTec weighs about 9 lbs, by actual measurement, meaning the difference between what my bathroom scale said I weighed with and without it. So within a few lbs either way.

The one advantage for my use of the bag vs. a good rack is that the depth is just right for my gear, the rack is another 4" deep that I don't need. The rack just fits on my Epifani T-112; a regular rack would overhang quite a bit.

The downside is that the bag is kind of bulky, but that's how they achieve some shock protection.

I haven't used a roto-molded rack, but note that they don't have a rail in the rear. (Neither does the ProTec bag, but I have had no trouble fastening stuff to the bag as needed. It seems to be foam sandwiched between two layers of 6mm plywood.)

Joker, I will send you a picture of the front of my ProTec bag, showing the spacers, FWIW. I don't have a site handy for posting pics here.

17. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Warwick also makes a laptop style rockbag that should accomodate the Stewart 1.2.

I've seen it on Manny's music site before it went down.

If I had a convection cooled amp I'd go for that....

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a 4 space Rok Sak and just got another brand 4 space back from a friend who asked me to pick one up for her but decided she didn't need on this big.

I considered the Roto SKB but it's just way too bulky for me. ATA cases weren't even an option, overkill for my local travel. My rig (H&K BB600 in the Rok Sak, two EA cabs) fits in the back of my car, behind the seats, under the cargo cover, pretty much a perfect fit. Couldn't do that with the SKB and, with it's hard edge, it's not as interior-friendly as the padded bags.