Which Rack case for 400+???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefty_400, Aug 3, 2005.

1. lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    I have put off getting a rack case for my 400+ for some time now but I am going to be moving the amp around a lot more in the coming months so I will be needing one.

I am fairly new to the whole 'Rack-Case' game. Rather than taking a wild stab in the dark ('I guess this will do'), I would like some input from guys more experienced in this area.

Here's what I have gathered:
    1: I will need a 4-Space Rack Unit
    2: Seems to me with all those tubes in there I should get a shock proof rack case (btw, what does 'shock proof' mean in terms of the construction of the case from a normal case? More Foam?).

Any particular brands that you guys favour? If you are a 400+ user, what rack did you get?

Let me know what you guys think...

2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I use a standard Gator rack. The previous owner drilled some holes in the side of the rack to aid ventilation. The Mesa shock racks are nice, but no way I want to ad a 40 lb rack to a 50 lb amplifier. For shock/vibration protection while playing, I put a piece of packing foam (heavy duty thick stuff) on top of the cabinet, under the head.
  3. Why not go for the Mesa Boogie SUS4 shockmount rack? It will double the weight of your amp and cost you a chunk of change, but nothing will baby your tube amp as well.
  4. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Both these guys are right. You sacrifice weight for added protection. I guess it depends on your upperbody strength and your budget. If you do get the suspended rack, make sure your cab has casters, so at least you can roll it around on top instead of carrying it.
  5. Make sure that its a sprung shockmount if you get one, not a foam one, the foam will just act as insulation which is not good for a tube amp!

Im thinking about getting an 8U SKB shockmount rack myself, i checked with SKB, they say thier racks can hold up to 150 ( or 155, i cant remember ) lbs, which is nice seeing my SVT II is 80-85 lbs !

( the reason i want 8 instead of 4 is that im making a 2 unit fan array for cooling/looking cool (based on one i saw someone was using on here a while back) and i want spare spaces for possibly a tuner and power strip in the future )

If i could afford it i'd try and find one of those mesa SUS ones, they seem to be the buisness!
  6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Get the Mesa if you have the money (and the energy) for it. You can actually find them on the bay for $150-200 fairly often. And if you're Tom B you can get them for way less. ;)
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    :D :ninja:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  9. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I would get a 5 or 6 space rack. Your 400+ needs to breath. Also getting one with wheels and a tote handle would save you from a hernia.
  10. thing is, if its like most sprung ones, theres a fair amount of open space around them, so it isnt completelly nessicary to have extra spaces, im doing it so there will be through-put of air over it, but a 4U sprung rack case will more than likely have enougrh breathing space

and the 400+ isnt a heavey amp anyway

theres a link to the 4U shockmount SKB case, as you can see, plenty of room about it :)
  11. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

Be aware that the Mesa SUS-4 has a 24 x 24 inch footprint (I think it's about 12 to 14 inches high) and weights 40+ pounds. I bought one sight unseen but when it arrived it was so huge I re-sold it without ever using it. I went with a standard short 4 space case (I am the guy who drilled holes in Cheezewiz's rack). Since my world tour seems indefinitley postponed, a standard rack seemed like an appropriate solution.

Gator makes a nice short rack that fits the 400+ like a glove. I fabricated some rear supports out of sheet aluminum and it was quite solid.

12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    +1 on Russ's work. I got my Mesa from him, and the rack is very nice. The ventilation holes and rear supports he did up make the gator look like it is absolutely made for the Mesa, without the weight of the Mesa rack.

The SKB shockmounts that i_got_a_mohawk linked to look VERY nice and would be just the ticket for a Mesa, but no thanks on the almost $400 price tag.