Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which rack case to get

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Oct 22, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, I been getting together all the gear that ive been asking around about all the pieces that I want to make my rig. But if I spend a bunch on money on it I want to protect my investment so what kind of rack case should I get So far I think im going to put a qsc plx series power amp the 1202 and I one rackspace preamp. I want to have 2 spaces left for a compressor and maybe something else what could you guys recommend me?

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    The easiest option is to buy an SKB or Gator molded case, there a good value, and they're really light weight. The rail inserts are annoying as hell tho.

3. Keep in mind when buying a case,all the overheating issues that have been descussed here.I would make sure there is room on both sides ,and the top for air circulation.I have an ampeg 4 pro that is side vented,so an skb case isnt my choise.The sides have concave in them limiting air flow.I am not familiar with your rig, so I cant say what is good and what is bad.Just keep cooling in mind when you buy. :bassist:

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm, I'm in the same situation, need to rack up my SWR bass 350 soon. Anyone know any side-vented rack cases or bags?

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i have a roack that is 1 space larger than i need. lots of venting directly above my amp with teh open rack space. i consider / woudl consider drilling some extra airholes in the top of the amp cover if i played super loud real long term, and crove the amp. i dont k so i havnt.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have a mesa 400+ which I use in a Gator 4 unit rack with no problems at all. I have, however, "modded"the rack by drilling 14" holes in the handle inserts which allows the Mesa's sidemounted fan to provide good air flow. The other mod I did was to drill out the bottom catches so that I can put the front and back on with greater ease when it is sitting on a speaker - this means you cannot use the key lock but that is not an issue with me.

7. I,m going to rack mount my ampeg pro4 which also has the cooling fan on the side.I,m waiting for my rack to come.mine has the carrying handle on the front,so the side are flat.I,m going to buy some locker vents and install these for cross ventilation.Locker vents are available through marine (boat ) stores.I think they will look good..

8. I only have experience with the Gator case, but my screw holes seem misaligned. I have a very difficult time getting my amp's holes to match up with Gator's. Also, their hinged face-plate attachement scheme scratched up the face of my amp, which I'm a little cheesed off about. If you get the Gator, avoid the rack-space closest to the hinges.

- Andrew

9. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    The above-referenced rack is very light, comparable to that of the non-Roto skb's. If you like wood, its very good.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have a gator shock mount 4 case and i'm not a big fan. the handles and cut outs are too small for my large hands.

however, my skb is awesome.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Grundorf. They are the best without a doubt.

12. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I have one of the SKB ones with wheels. Wheels make everything easier. And it doesn't weigh that much either.

13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I agree with Andrew about the alignment of holes on the SKB, it does take a bit of patience but it can be done. Re his comments on the front hinges scratching, these are what I removed - very easily drilled out in a matter of minutes with no effect on the case other than the lock cannot be used.

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Bumpity bump!

16. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
  17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've used a 6 space Gator Roller rack-it has served me well. When the wheel popped, Gator sent me replacements for free. I dig the rack.

18. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yes yes yes, but what about the ventilation screens? Do they work?

19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Those vent panels won't breathe better than the empty space they are meant to occupy, but they look nice and keep small animals out.