Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which rackmount for my new 1001rb-II head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 17, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    so i'm looking at this thing of beauty, wondering which little portable rack mount would be cool. i'm looking at skb's so far because i think they are cool looking, and sound functional. i've seen the ones on wheels which would be..... interesting. the thing is, i can't find one that really shares similar dimensions with my amp. what are you guys using?

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just keep in mind that the cooling vents on that head are on the top. You will need a spaceous case or and empty rack space above that head to keep it cool.

danman

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    If all you're looking to do is protect the head during transport, you may want to consider GK's Padded Bag for the 700RB/1001RB Series.

Other options might be the Gator Shallow Rack... I believe it comes in a 3u size. It is however somewhat deeper than the SKB shallow racks. The SKB 3U shallow roto-rack would probably be your best rack solution.

- Frank.

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    yeah i figured i would need a 3space, but wasn't sure (thanks danman). i'll check out that skb. i would like this rackspace to be its home really. if i find one with removable front and back, i'll never take it out.

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    There is a way to get away with a 2U rack case, but it would involve cutting a hole in the top of the case even with about where the fan in the GK would be when mounted. Then you could mount some sort of small screen or grate to cover the hole but still allow unrestricted air flow. If you examine the tops of the 700RB/1001RB combo amps you'll notice that GK does something similar which is what allows them to mount what is essentially the same head in their combos.

- Frank.

6. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i thought about that too. i've moded computer cases for extra fans, and done some porting for better flow. there are millions of computer fan screens that would look cool. i COULD technicnically put in a computer fan with some neons too if i wanted to tear the gk open, but i don't.

7. i know you already got the 3 sopace if a gk 1001rb-II owner has one just get the 2 space it will work fine, there is enough space(in that case) to have air flow through the amp.

8. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    I need a case for my RBH 700 II head. So are you saying a 2U rack will be ok, as is? No holes to cut or anything? i would prefer the bag (due to storage limitations but cant find it in UK. Plus itwill be mega expensive!)

9. litoljon

litoljon

Oct 30, 2004
    Valencia, CA
    I'm using a 4-space SKB shallow X-rack for mine. The only issue is that you can put it all the way down on the #3/4 space because the opening does not clear the speakon cables.

I had to install it on the #2/3 space to clear ... I'm planning to get a tuner in the #4 space and put a vented 1space cover on the #1 for airflow.

Enjoy your amp! You'll love it ... i'm in love with mine! :)

->arthur

10. I run my 1001RB in the top 1+2 spaces of my SKB 4 space Rotorack. No open space above it, except for the 1" or so air space inside the rack it self. The GKs also vent out the front of the amp, too. I play this amp a lot, very loud, for long periods of time. Haven't had any problems, yet. But, if I ever encounter a venting issue, I am prepared to mod the rack case.

11. officially, you only need a 1/2" of clearance above the head.

12. I thought so. That was one of the original selling points for me on the head. I wanted my whole rack to fit into a shallow 4 space X-Rack. The size, power, and ventilation specs sold me. But then I got to play with it some more, and found out that I love it regardless. My only gripe was that I bought it right before the 1001RB-II came out. I drive it pretty hard, with a tube preamp and compressor going into it, and I generally run volume 12:00, boost 12:00, and woofer 3:00, and never had a problem. Now if GK makes the 1001RB-III able to run down to 2ohms, I'll buy it as soon is it hit the streets!

13. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1. I have the same rack with the same issue.

That's exactly how I have mine set up. Issue resolved.

+1

14. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I saw that in my manual somewhere and I'm pretty sure most SKB style cases will accomodate that without having to utilize an extra space for the clearance. I know both of my cases are like that but I decided to put a vent panel in the GK's roadcase anyway.

15. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    Thanks chaps! i have seen the SKB Shallow Cases and think that would be best, but i cant find any pictures of the back. Is it a flap (door) or just a hole for access? i want to use my speakon cable so why wont it fit? - is it just the size of the speakon plug? will i have issues with speakon plugs if i got a 3u and put it in the bottom 2 spaces? (or even a 2u though i would feel safer with 3!) As always quite expensive over here in england, so dont want to take a gamble!

16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The back cover is more like an access panel that does not cover the entire backside of the case. Since the amp is almost as deep as the rack, the large speakon connectors cannot fit when the amp is positioned in the 1-2 or 3-4 spaces. I can only speak for the 4 space model but if you put the GK in the middle (2-3) spaces as already mentioned, you'll be fine with the speakons.

17. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    Thanks, but i would still be worried about the lack of space above the amp if fiiting in the top 2 spaces. plus it would be no different than a 2U case as the 3rd (top) space would be ventilation. Can anyone with a 2u or 3u SKB shallow comment on the speakon problem? (or even a gator shallow case) it would really help me! thanks

18. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    Anyone? Especially anyone with a Gator shallow case! That seems to be the better option to not have the speakon plug problem!