Which records have the ubiquitous Fender Jazz tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bubba Love, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Forgive me if this has been done recently, I did a search and it didn't come up with anything.

Which records and players have the ubiquitous Fender Jazz tone? It's been used by so many players for so long now, and subjected to so many effects and amps that you could answer many ways. For example, John Paul Jones sounds a lot different to Jaco. What's a jazz at it's growliest? It's clearest? What do you hear that makes you go, "yep, that's a jazz!"?
  2. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Marcus Miller typifies the awesome 70s jazz bass to me.
  3. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
  4. Bubba,
    Here's something I just ran into. If your looking for a Funky like a bow-legged Monkey cut, check out "Glide" by a 70's funk band Pleasure. Talk about "spank & Growl", and it's sound's to be a passive Jazz bass!

Bobbo 77'
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Two big ones you've surely heard:
    John Paul Jones with Led Zepplin
    Noel Redding with Jimi Hendrix
    Geddy Lee with Rush (later years, earlier on he played Rickenbacker, I think).
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't know if this is true, but I was told Nate Phillips used a Music Man. As for the Jazz tone, I'd have to go with the Graham Central Station stuff.
  7. "The Chain"...on the album "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac

I love the bass on the intro to "The Wall" by Pink Floyd, but I'm not sure if it's a J or P bass....sounds like a J bass to me...
  8. noel redding used a tele bass didnt he? er maybe i'm thinking of the bassist jimi was with in the band of gypsys
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Noel used a sunburst Jazz. Fender made sig model for him about 5 years ago.
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Noel Redding was definately a J player: thus the Noel Redding Signature Jazz
    Billy Cox: He's mostly a P man, check it out here:
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you spin in a big circle in the r&b dept of your record store, i'm sure you'll land on something.
  12. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm . . . if the jazz tone is "ubiquitous," doesn't that mean all records have it?
  13. the roots
    meshell ndegeochello
    sly and the family stone
    john mayer
    theres heaps more....basically any soul, rnb, hip hop will either be a jazz or p (majority of not all)

oh and prince
  14. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Jerry Jemmott is a fav jazz tone of mine...

also jimmy live at the fillmore with billy cox and buddy miles is classic jazz bass...

bootsy with james brown - ie sex machine, talkin' loud and sayin nothin...

ahhhh, damnit i cannot think of anymore right now...
  15. bassaroo

Dec 9, 2005
    How about Anthony Jackson's earlier years played on his jazz bass "Career Girl" ash body, rosewood fingerboard, probably stock pickups:

Chaka Khan recordings, with greats like: Move me No Mountain. And the movie "The Wiz". How about the O'Jays Money, Money

So many great recordings he did on that beauty. Personally, although I LOVE everything he's done, I would prefer if he would go back to play everything on the jazz "Career Girl" - just love the tone on that beauty! My ears prefer it to all of his newer Foderas.

I used to own one of his Fodera model 6 strings. Sold it, now I've got Fender Jazz's and a P.
  16. Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I have a BP magazine (I'll have to check which issue, but it's not too old) in which the line for 'Glide' is featured. Phillips said he used a Jazz Bass with new Rotosound rounds to get the sound.
  17. the latest Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff
    Superunknown album by Soundgarden
    Audioslave albums
    punchy midrangey, with clear defined low end, must be a Jazz ;)
  18. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I Wish by Stevie Wonder (feat. Nathan Watts on Bass)

This is a REALLY great example to listen to b/c the bass line is right up front and it's what holds the song together -- it's almost the hook.

It's also an excellent song to learn because to play it correctly, you MUST have your sense of rhythm in order.
  19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IIRC Mel Schacher of Grand Funk Railroad played a Jazz bass on the "Closer to Home" album. And Mars Cowling of The Pat Travers band played a Jazz bass as well. I really like Mars' tone on "Boom, Boom, Out go the Lights". IMO there's quite a difference between Mel's and Mars' sound.