Which Red Hot Chili Peppers CD?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by John K., Jul 26, 2002.

1. The Red Hot Chili Peppers

0 vote(s)
  2. Freaky Styley

2 vote(s)
  3. The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

1 vote(s)
  4. Mother's Milk

8 vote(s)
  5. Blood Sex Sugar Magik

46 vote(s)
  6. One Hot Minute

2 vote(s)
  7. Californication

8 vote(s)
  8. By The Way

3 vote(s)
  9. What Hits

0 vote(s)
  1. I'm thinking of buying a CD, and I've decided on the Chili Peppers, not only cause the music is good, but cause I think I could learn some things from Flea's playing. Which album do you think could serve me best in my ongoing quest for bass knowledge and ability?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BSSM is my choice(the obvious choice?). ;)
    ...and I was buying their stuff from the get-go.
    The early stuff is nice & raw; Mother's Milk had a more "mature" vibe, BSSM was the follow-up.

Try to pick up one of the early ones, too(if possible).
    Are the early ones still in-print?
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I also voted for Blood Sugar Sex Magik. That is THE Chili Peppers album to get!

Flea is all over the place on that one, heavy funk, sweet basslines, slap&pop, you just name it!
  4. definitely Blood Sugar. Their best by far. There are soooo many funky bass lines!!!
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I have to say BSSM too. Ultimate party album, and sure brings back memories. The album came out less than a year after I graduated high school, and I can remember lots of good times with that album playing in the background. It was an instant hit with everyone.
  6. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    to me, flea IS Mother's Milk :eek: :D
  7. nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    its my personal favorite. buy them all, but buy this one first.
  8. Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    BBSM is fantastic...one hot minute for me was better..tho missin john..but my absolute fav has to be uplft mofo/mothers milk i cannot choose between them...Johnny Kick A Hole in the Sky is a master piece same as Backwoods i just absolutly adore them..Sexy Mexican Maids has so0o much groove in it..just make u wanna get up and funk..and Stone Cold Bush, the bass solo is cool..Flea was so0o feckin good on mothers milk. I love Behind the sun awww for me califonication was a let down.,, i love the album..but the brillinace of One Hot Minute wasnt followed up...im sorry but even By The Way cant beat the musical writtin talents of Antony and Dave, they were a good collaboration..long live both RHCP and Janes Addiction..:D
  9. BSSM is the epitome of RHCP. Buy it. Followed by Mother's Milk.
  10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    It goes like this- BSSM, Mother's Milk, Californication
    IMO, those are their best cd's.
  11. JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    bssm is all well and good... but if you want to learn how to be a great bassist without such flashiness and tomfoolery, get californication.
  12. By The Way. I've been listening since 'Mothers Milk', and think the new one is their best accomplishment. I honestly have not heard an album from a band with such a sense of melody since 'Abbey Road'.

I couldnt agree with this more. Flea's slapping and popping etc. is all good for the older style of Chili Peppers music, but unless you can find a band who will back you up on it like the Peppers, playing that stuff will probably only infuriate other band members. His best stuff, while not his most technical or flashy stuff, is on 'Californication'.
  13. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I agree with you about Californication, but the Chili Peppers in their truest form (the rock-out-with-your-c*ck-out form) definately comes off BSSM and Mother's Milk. I love the new CD, I really don't think the Chili Peppers can go wrong at this point, but you can't deny the energy and funkiness of BSSM or Mother's Milk. When someone asks me about the Chili Peppers, these are the first ones that pop into my head. Great accomplishments, both of them.
  14. Yeah, I think that BSSM is the ultimate party album, and is a total classic, and probably what the Peppers will most be remembered for, but I find that the Peppers have grown since then. I think the musicianship has improved for all of the members, and Anthony's voice has improved a lot, the lyrics are much better and the songwriting is way better. They arent part of a genre now, whereas before they were funk/punk, and stuck pretty well in those confines most of the time, now they are are genre onto themselves, there is elements of funk, pop, punk,classic rock, metal, pychadelia, R&B etc. The new album even features a spanish style song!
  15. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well put Jim. I definately agree.
  16. Yeah, but didn't they wear a sock? :D

BSSM and Mothers Milk is clasic RHCP with Flea in your face. I like Californication because it is more melodic and the whole band gets involved. I like Flea and all, but I'm glad he isn't so much in the forefront on Californication.

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned "Soul To Squeeze" which I think is Fleas greatest bass line ever. You can find it on the Coneheads soundtrack. Great tune.

I'd buy either BSSM or Californication. Actually, buy both. :D
  17. AlexK

Apr 10, 2001
    That has to be my favorite RHCP song to play.
  18. Soul To Squeeze is a good song and all, but for some reason the bassline isn't all that great to me. I don't know why, it's a great bassline that completely makes the song what it is, but I think that Aeroplane was his greatest bassline.
  19. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You're online, just download some songs and learn em from all the albums.

But if you're gonna buy one, buy BSSM.
  20. You guys just really need to listen to freaky stylee. That album is pure funk. American Ghost Dance and Jungle man are what the peppers are all about. I think they are not being sincere musicians anymore, their music is so bland.