which replacement pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Musicfreak1988, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm GASing for a Fender MIM jazz (I'm a lefty and I want a passive, not too expensive J-type (and I'm living in Europe)) and I found out that the MIM Fender basses are pretty good built, but the PU's are poor. So I shall replace the stock pickups, but I haven't got many experience with pickups... So what do you think... Is it a good idea to replace the stock PU's with Fender American PU's, or should I rather replace them with Lindy Fralins, Barts or DiMarzios or ....... ?
    If possible, the sound has to be versatile: good for some walking bass jazz stuff, but also for funky fingerstyle and slapstyle. Thanks in advance. :help:
  2. try the seymour Duncan antiquity II Pickups Good vintage P-Bass sound But can get decent mids and highs with the tone wide open. :bassist:
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    A search of this forum will provide loads of ideas for J type pickups. Me, I love my Nordstrand NJ4SEs, and your description of the sound you're after is something they are good at. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for, etc, etc, etc
  4. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I would go with either the Fralins or Duncan antiquities (spelling sux).
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

personally I'd wait till I got the bass and checked out the stocks. Never had any MIM's but I've heard more than one testimony from guys who prefer them over their US counterparts. Could be wrong but seems Smash was one of them, but it could have been P's not J's.

Anyway, there are plenty of decent cheap pups around, everybody has different tastes, there are a lot of variables that affect tone besides pups, and you can always buy pups.

More important, there's no way of knowing what the acoustic properties of that bass will be and that can be the deciding factor in which pups to take a stab at.

Also, there's no way of knowing what it will sound like amplified to your music through your rig and that will affect the direction you'd want to go with replacements.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    First, I would follow the advice from luknfur. I have talked to him before about pups, and he for sure knows what he is talking about.

If you decide to go with new pups, then I second the above advice. I have them in my MIA Jazz, and they are amazing.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for waiting to see what they sound like. But if you do decide to change them out, I have '62 Reissue pickups in two of my basses (A J and a P) and absolutely love them.