1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Ric is a better investment?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thedude77md, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Just wondering which bass you guys think is better to keep as investment piece...

I have a mint 4003 fretless in Amber FireGlo and a fairly worn in (but functioning perfectly) 3001 in autumn burst (I think- it's a brownburst w/ black pickguard). I'm trying to find a way to keep both but debt is dictating that one of these will probably have to hit the classifieds come the new year...

My thoughts are the 3001, though cheaper, are getting rarer and rarer and may be the better ax to have 20 years from now. Then again they stopped making fretless 4003s and it is a color of the year... ugh.

Just wondering what you guys thought from an investment perspective.... :cool:

and no, these are not for sale and won't be anytime soon hence I didn't post in the classifieds.

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Mm, I don't think I'd really call either one an investment. They have value, but that's not the same thing. If you have debt, don't worry about an investment with a 20-year timeframe, that may or may not even maintain its value (let alone grow). I'd sell the one you like the least. When you are debt-free and have some emergency money saved, that's the time to talk to a financial planner about investing.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Also wanted to mention that condition is the #1 factor in collectable instrument valuation. When you say mint, do you really mean mint? Have you *ever* played it? Does it still have the original tags? There's a big difference in instrument valuation between an instrument that's mint and as-new.

Check out this thread for more info:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418668

4. Thanks, man. I would still call it mint. It came out of the case, changed the strings to rotosound flats to protect the frets, played it for 5 minutes, and put 'er back in the case where it has remained.

You are right though about the investment thing, but I have to somehow justify owning too many basses!

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The sad thing is many Rics are an investment first and an instrument second ...

The 4003 is a better investment than a 3001

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Nothing wrong with owning lots of basses, but even with the crazy vintage Fender prices these days, they still don't come close to even a stock market index fund. I once did the math on a sunburst '65 Jazz and found that it had an annualized return of only 4.5% (accounting for inflation).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462775

Buy basses because you like them and they are a good value for what you want, and buy them to play. Of course, this doesn't mean you should intentionally trash them, but instruments are not good or even decent investment vehicles, 1958 Les Pauls, Stradivarius violins, and certain early 20th-century jazz guitars excluded.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Definately keep the FL 4003. Color of the Year or not, it's the better bass of the 2. You'll still get decent money for the 3001, almost as much as the 4003. +1 on the "investment" comments. Never buy musical instruments as an investment, the return is usually negligable.

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Or, often, negative, especially if you account for inflation.

9. I suppose you are both right, Dave and RIckenBoogie. The return is negligible and if I have debt I really should eliminate that before thinking about investments... and I suppose Dave's point is valid that this isn't the best arena to invest in unless we're talking super high dollar items. In all honesty I should sell them both but can't bring myself to do it!

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I bought a 1968 4001 in 1973 for $150 ... I played it for 30 years and sold it for $6500 a few years ago ... That was a good investment!

11. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    I didn't mean that you should sell both, or even either, if you want to keep them. It just depends on your priorities. If you have a bass that you like and would be hard to replace, or has sentimental value, weigh that against how important it is to you to get out of debt, and how quickly you want to do that. You probably have other options, too, like simply establishing a (or a better) budget, selling other stuff you care about less, or things along these lines.

Why do you have the 4003 if you never play it? Did you buy it as an investment? If so, if you have debt, it seems obvious which one should go - debt comes before investments, IMHO.

12. Nah, I wasn't interpreting that you were saying that. Just the mentions about the return on basses kinda put things in perspective. Kind of a reality check after GAS.

Yes, the 4003FL was bought as an investment, however, my financial/debt situation changed over the 1.5 years I had to wait for the bass after the down payment. I can already get $750+ more for it than I payed for it. Rics price increases and discontinuation of the FL are to thank there.