Which Rig For My $?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ichi9, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Ichi9

Jun 7, 2000

Just wanted to get some outside opinions on the best rig I can get for around $1000-1500? I'm currently playing a J-bass, and play pretty much all types of music except the speed metal stuff. I'm looking for reliability, tone shaping ability, customer support, and transportation(only 5'5" 155lbs!). I'm leaning towards a head-cab rig but if you think there is a combo that better fits my needs then I would love to here about it. I'm planning to get my rig in about six months, so I have some time to research and would really like to make a wise choice. Anyway, feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hey..In musicians friend they ahve a gallien krueger package for 1000! its a gk400rb head in a combo form with 2 10's and u also get an extension 15 cab.. when all plugged up u get 380 watts.. damn good amp too
  3. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Since my Eden VT-300 took a dump,(and Guitar Center bought it back-Thanks G.C.)I'm looking for another rig.I'm spooked about tubes now so I'm waiting for my local shop to get the new fender cabinets to go with their new Bassman 400 head.I think you should be able to get the whole stack for around $12-1300.00.

I would advise you to crank it up when you try it though,because some Fender stuff I've been told sounds great at lower volumes,but loses tone when cranked up in a band setting.That's probably true of other brands too.
  4. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was originally going to buy a full hartke set up...350w head and 410xl cab. that set up is right around 1000 and sounded great with my Jazz bass.

but since i found a great deal on the same head used, i spent 800 on an SWR goliathIII 4x10.
  5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I really like the ampeg b410hlf cabs.. They cost around $550'ish and are extended range for some big, tight bottom. The sensitivity is great and they can push a lot of air with a good amp. Frequency response seems great for a 4x10 as well.. Might want to consider them ;) Plus, you can get a 4 ohm model to really push an amp (which is what I have)..
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You are asking a pretty open ended question. You have a TON of options in your price bracket. Give us some more info!
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    A Peavey BAM perhaps would fit the bill?
  8. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    yes, listen to him. edens are the best, yet not the most expensive out there. but with your price limit, I don't think you can get something thats Eden and nice. Maybe a Metro cab? I would go the head/cab direction just for the fact of being modular and able to replace 1 thing without the whole system going, like in a combo. SWR Goliath III 4x10 sucks the big one, sorry to say because I was so infatuated with it for quite some time (before that I loved the Megoliath, but changed my views due to portability issues). The Goliath blows compared to the Eden 410XLT because the Eden had crisper high, better harmonics, slightly quicker damping factor, which in turn is more punchiness, or speed of the cab. The SWR was only like 90 bucks more, so I rather spend the extra cash and get a cab I'll like for a long time instead of a 90 buck less cab that I'll be stuck with and have to buy a new one soon. Not for me. Get the Eden, get on with life, and be happy!:)
  9. How about an Ampeg SVT-3Pro with a PR-1528HE. You'll have a nice 300W (or so..). You could probably get it for a grand is you show $$cash and batgain with the dude.
  10. ...oh, it's got the highs down to the lows. Easier protability than a 8x10 or 4x10/1x15