1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which rig is best for rock music?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman74, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mesa d-800 + gs112 (maybe 2, gs-112)

56 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. GK 700 rb + GK neo 212

91 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. GK mbfusion + cx 210

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Fender rumble 500 + Rumble 410

23 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Fender bassman 500 + Rumble 410

35 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    My possibilities are the ones in the poll. I do not have the opportunity to try those exact rigs.

I am curious what would you get?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Mesa plus a different cab. I'm not a fan of the Aggie GS or SL cabs, do like the sound of the DB but don't like the form factor.

Add a Mesa 1-15 and 1-12 and you're set.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Fender Rumble 500 2x10 combo plus 2x10 extension. Vertical 4x10, light weight, 500w, good dispersion FOH and on stage, also easier to hear yourself.

Add an HPF like TBr fdeck's v.3 and you're all set.

Crusher47, jmhaslip, cchorney and 8 others like this.
  4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Hard to say which you'd like best, but assuming rock = loud, I would say that you'll likely need two of the gs112s opposed to one.

Likewise, I wouldn't expect a single 210 to cut it either, at least not for the types of rock ensembles I personally play in.

I'm not a huge fan of the 410 form-factor, but that's more of a nit pick - it'd probably be solid.

So, with that out of the way, I'll just gently note my preference for the GK RBs like the 700RB you have noted, especially for rock, though it's totally subjective. I don't doubt that depending on preference, the other heads you have listed wouldn't work equally well. So, YMMV. :)

TinyE, Al Kraft, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The GS112 is a great cab for certain styles of music. I don't think it's optimal for rock music, though. It's just doesn't have the mid cut that you often need in that style of music.

bassman74 and Slater like this.
  6. Unless you really want to blow the doors off someplace, the Rumble 500 combo with a matching 2x10" cabinet should be loud enough.

jmhaslip, TinyE, cchorney and 5 others like this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I get the sense that the OP was referring to the Rumble 500 head, but if we're talking about the Rumble 500 2x10 combo + a matching 2x10, then I'd tend to agree.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

SVT with 810. Cmon people. How is that not in the poll? :roflmao:

9. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I have yet to find a cab that i can afford to go with the d-800 I already own. The d-800 has a bit too much clarity for
    Me. I am searching for a cab I can afford like the gs-112 that will soften the d-800 character.

10. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    All of this is a little out of my budget. I found some good deal locally on the 500 head and 4x10.

11. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I have P.A. Support. I only need a good to ear myself during practice and very small gig.

12. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Not sure if you've considered it, but that sounds like it might actually be a good job for a pedal/preamp?

dbsfgyd1, Dragonlord and bassman74 like this.
  13. Exactly, best rock bass map ever made.

14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I guess if the gigs are very small...

I usually have very good PA support at all times, and that's still where I draw the line for me personally - just from a monitoring standpoint.

bassman74 likes this.
  15. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Combine with a Mesa which I feel has a lot of rocking mids, i’m Not totally sure it won’t cut thru but you maybe right

16. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    You are right, I bought a sansamp bddi!

cchorney likes this.
  17. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Because it’s waayyy out of my budget

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  18. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I agree but I actually have a deal on the rumble 500h and 4x10 cab. I can always get another 4x10 next year.

Lvjoebass and Marhmol like this.
  19. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Here is the complete picture.
    First, the least expensive it is, the better it is. Unless, I have an opportunity on something better for not that much more money.

Second, I bought a Mesa D-800 20 days ago and I still have 10 days to bring it back if don’t find an affordable solution.

I tried and liked Mesa, GK, and Fender. They all have pros and cons that is why I have such a hard time choosing between the three.

Regarding Mesa, to my ears it sounds best through the powerhouse 410 but it is so expensive. I tried the sw12 and 15, I liked them but only tried them at low volume. I found a used PH115 but did not like it.

Regarding GK, I like them live, at high volume but I tend to prefer a rounder tone, especially at lower volume. That is why I wanted to try the mbfusion and it’s 3 tubes.

Regarding Fender, the rumble 500 is great but I prefer the refined tone of the bassman series, like the bassman 500 and 800 but once again their expensive.

I have a trade offer for my d-800 against a bassman 500 but I got used to 800 watts pretty quickly. I am afraid I might run out of headroom with the 500.

I’ve took a look at the used market locally too. That is why I came up with the options in the poll.

Thanks for your time

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What's your max budget?

bassman74 likes this.