Which rosin for a beginner and why?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by azflyman, Jun 3, 2004.

1. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I am getting ready to start arco lessons and I need rosin, but which one? I don't want something that will get on my bass that I can't get off (Pop's?). I would like something to give me as easy start as possible. What do you arso guru's recommend?

2. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    When I saw Scott Colley with Jim Hall last month, he was using Pop's. At least I think it was Pop's...there was a red Pop's container on his amp (unless Scott is practicing rosin deception?). :eyebrow:
  3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Lots of people like Pop's. One thing I would suggest is that if you want to try another kind of rosin, try it with a fresh re-hair. Pop's and Nyman (my favourite) don't mix very well, and that's why some players shy away from one or the other. Nyman and Carllson are about the same stuff, Pop's is very different. How the rosin acts really depends on the climate and time of year as well. Make sure you only use really fresh rosin, sometimes Pop's will be nothing but dust if it's old. . .
  4. Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Whatever you do stay away from Pirastro Eudoxa bass rosin, I couldn't get that stuff to stick at all! I used pops in high school and as long as I kept a fairly fresh batch it worked well. Right now I'm using Nymann and like it, but once I get a rehair I will probably try Carlson or Liebenzeller formula IV or V.
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Call your teacher and see what he's using. The tackiness of the rosin and style go right together.
  6. IMO, Carlson is the best rosin out there, and the amount used is a more important difference from one technique to another than the brand of rosin. I do use nymans sometimes in hot weather simply because it's a little harder, but I really think the carlson is better. The best advise I can give is to get some carlson, but really try to play with as little rosin as possible until you get your technique down; otherwise it's easy for rosin to become a crutch when it should be an accessory.
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Another thing I'd like to add is that when you get the stick out for the first time for the day and it's not grabbing the strings to your satisfaction right away, avoid applying rosin immediately. Get the bow warmed up first and then determine if you need more gack.
  8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I think Pops is great, and it's the rosin I use, but I would suggest that you try them all and make up your own mind as you learn to use the bow.
  9. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    I like the Kolstein soft, at about $10. Get enough of it onto the bow and it'll stick to the wall. Rub all over the playing part of the strings, too. (Quinn Violin will sell it to you on line, ship quickly). No powdery residue.