1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which roundwounds have the Fullest/Fattest/Fundemental tone w/more body ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jibreel, May 15, 2011.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Three of my basses have LaBella black nylon flats. I guess that says alot. My Turner bass has TI acousticores which are full and acoustic sounding rounds.

I want that modern sound, especially for slapping.

The G string sounds great. But moving to the lower strings, not so much.

The E string sounds like a piano string. Very little fundamental fatness. Lots of overtones, like a bunch of tones all at once, thinner, to much treble and zing, kind of hard to describe.

I want roundwound sound but with less zing and overtones and more fullness, fatness and body.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    GHS Bass Boomers 45 - 105 Medium Set M3045X
    - Long Lasting, Good Balanced tone and tension.
    Available everywhere.

Easy price - Reliable consistent quality - Good all around sound from Thump to Zing to Growl to Slap to Driving Bass

Fat Lows, Low Mids, Mids, High Mids and Highs. Tons of tone.

Go for a set. I try others from time to time but always go back to these.

:bassist:

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Usually the problem is the other way around - the G is the issue. I would play them a few more days and see how they sound. Another thing to look at is pickup height on the E side. Is it too low?

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    sounds like you might be using a pick. :bag:

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That's what most rounds sound like to me, too. Many extraneous overtones and ringing harmonics instead of a fat, solid, fundamental. Add some finger noise and fret clatter, and I'm ready for a stay in a padded room at the home for the bewildered!

A strip of foam under the strings at the bridge can help quell unwanted overtones - at the expense of sustain; cheap to try, and temporary - nothing to lose.

6. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    GHS boomers are good... and a solid recommendation. But also Ive recently really liked fatbeams... deep rich sound compared to hibeams and very easy on the hands for a stainless string. I dont slap but friends who are funk players here in the houston area also love them. Great deep booming sound also for low end walking etc which I love and also very balanced (can go from walking to soloing without sounding like galloping horses on the solos or a twangy guitar on the walking!)

Good luck!

7. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    the dr Jonas helborg signatures mabey. it uses a single nickel wrap on all strings and it has a round core instead of a hex core .

8. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I recommend SIT medium Nickel strings which are .050" to .105". Also one of the cheapest at about $16 on ebay but they really do stay in tune and sound wonderful. They are my standard round wound for long scale basses now.

9. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    DR Low Riders nickels turned out to be what I was looking for.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Try DR Fatbeams too - I really like the mid punch they give (I used low-riders for years before I started using Fat Beams...)

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    To muddy this up even more...........DR Sunbeams are the best that I have come across for this. I found the nickel Lo-Riders to have a little more "grind" than the Sunbeams. Sunbeams have an almost flat-like fundamental, but enough of an edge in the highs to give that roundwound tone for pick playing and slapping that flats do not have IMO/IME. They are both very good, but I think the Sunbeams are closer to what you are describing.

To be fair, I have never tried the Fat Beams, though I hope to try them soon.