1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which rush era do you like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mustang-monk, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mustang-monk

mustang-monk

Feb 1, 2008
    k, so my step dad likes the music that rush put out in the 70s and i prefer the 80s stuff. so what era of rush do you like or even specific albums. i like all rush and the first album is my second favourite of theirs, however overall the sort of 80s albums like hold your fire, moving pictures, grace under pressure i like the best. So im wondering what TBs opinion is on the subject.

album wise my top 3/joint 4[SUP]th[/SUP] are:

1. moving pictures
    2. Rush
    3. hold your fire/2112

so What is you favourite Rush Period or album/s?

2. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    They're good through and through, but I dig their beginnings best.

Rush, then All The World's A Stage (if live LPs count) are my favorites. IMO, the sound of Alex's rhythm guitar on their debut album is the coolest rhythm sound ever..

3. When they go instrumental :bag:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Moving pictures and backwards, everything afterwards just doesn't do anything for me.

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    After Grace Under pressure they really left me cold, though I never stopped liking what I liked and I always considered myself a huge fan.

Over the last few years I went back to all that material I missed out on and realized that even though it sounded different from the material I always liked it was still really good stuff. Since that "revelation" I started buying all the CDs I missed out on and have learned to really like some of them a lot. Stupid me, I wrote it off simply for being different from what I was used to. I now have their entire catalog and am an even bigger fan than ever.

Having said all that, I'd still my favorite era was probably 2112 through Moving Pictures

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm with you there, Dave. The first time I heard Grace Under Pressure, I didn't really like it. A few years later I went back and listened to it and really loved it. (My CD copy of GUP has no printing on it, just the Mercury logo. Collector's item? Maybe.)

2112 through Counterparts for me. Test For Echo I have, but it's the album where they started to lose me.

I'm still going to see them in OKC in April, though!

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Oh absolutely! I saw them last July and took my son (10 at the time) to his first real rock concert. He had a blast and is also a huge fan.

The biggest surprise, though, was my wife. She insisted on going mostly because she was scared of me exposing our son to a drug-laced, human sacrifice-laden, sex-crazed, Satan worshipping convention (IOW, a rock concert :rolleyes: ). She could name a few Rush songs but was blown away but how many she recognized (at least partly due to me playing them non-stop ove the 25 years we've been together!). She was also as surprised as I was at how much she enjoyed it and after rolling her eyes at what I listen to for all these years she became a fan as well.

We got tickets to go again this June. Can't wait! :hyper:

8. I'm probably in the minority, but I really like the Counterparts/Test for Echo era. I love their older stuff, but without a doubt the albums that really move me are those two.

9. Pre-Moving Pictures and Gup to Rtb.

10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    All of them.

11. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Late 70s - early 80's are my favorite.

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    1st album.
    That is all.

13. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Mid 70s to early 80s. Some of the stuff they released in the 80s wasn't up to par with the rest of their albums. The 90s stuff was okay, but their last two releases were pretty strong.

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    It's all fantastic, timeless music. My personal favorite span is from Signals to Roll the Bones.

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I pretty much like it all, except that the mid-'80s stuff (Power Windows and Hold Your Fire) doesn't appeal to me as much right now.

From a pure songwriting standpoint, though, I feel their newer stuff from 1989's Presto and onwards is superior.

16. Hemispheres through Signals for me. The early stuff is fun, but not quite up to par and the later stuff is too slick/compressed/synth/solid state.

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    My favorite are all the '80s. "Hold Your Fire" has some extremely cheese and overly '80s sounds and arrangements, but it has some great songs. I stopped buying Rush records after "Presto."

The '70s' records are amazing, but Geddy ultra-high-pitch voice can get annoying. 2112 is such a master piece, though.

1980 PERMANENT WAVES
    1981 MOVING PICTURES
    1982 SIGNALS
    1984 GRACE UNDER PRESSURE
    1985 POWER WINDOWS
    1987 HOLD YOUR FIRE
    1989 PRESTO

And although their playing skills have never diminished, I've haven't heard really good compositions since "Presto." I'm guessing my opinions have a lot to do with the fact that I was a teenager in the '80s, and I captured music in a different way, but it can be said that all Rush's career has been spectacular.

18. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Me, too.

19. ^that period.

Favorite/high point record: Permanent Waves

I think they hit their stride with this one, the compositions were solid, the playing was amazing, and the production was perfect.

However, they've never made a bad record, IMO.