Which Sadowsky bass to buy??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevinlane, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Standard

9 vote(s)
  2. Modern

11 vote(s)
  1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Sadowsky owners I need your opinions.
    I've decided to get one, but am having trouble deciding on the model: standard 5 or Modern5. I do slap quite a bit, but verastility is important too.

Is the Modern a typical humbucker sound just good for R&R?

And how about the difference between the newer humcanceling J's and the vintage J's?(I believe they're both offered on the Standards)

Unfortunatley there is nowhere near me to hear the differences, so please weigh in if you're a sadowsky owner, especially if you have had both Modern and a standard 5
  2. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I've owned a standard and I have tried a Modern a few times and I'd say that Sadowsky Modern is one of the best sounding basses I've heard, there is a guy here in Iceland called Johann Asmundsson and he is/was in a band called Mezzoforte, he used a Sadowsky modern and did a lot of slap and funk thing, they also did jazz and ballads so I'd say it is pretty versatile:bassist:
  3. I have a Vintage 5 with single coils and a Modern with EMGs (fretless). IMO, the single coils offer are great vintage vibe, especially when using slap techniques. They are very punchy, articulate, nasty vintage vibe when you need it, sweet when you don't. It sits great in the mix very well.

The Modern is more polite and refined - "modern" sounding - that "piano string" tone. Also sits great in the mix.

If I had to chose one, I would pick the single coils for the type of music I play (I have a church gig, too). But, I can't imagine you be disappointed with either one.

You might want to call Roger and discuss your particular needs. He will lead you to the best solution for you.

Good luck!
  4. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
  5. I have a Standard 5 with Bartolini J's and it is the ONLY bass I have ever had that sounded great for slap and nice and deep for finger style. Most basses I have had sound OK for both and really great for one or the other, the Sadowsky smokes in both areas.
  6. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I second this.....
    Although this is not an option I would consider this also, I have a Lakland USA 5 string and it's the most versatile bass I've tried, you should check those out if you're looking for versatility:)
  7. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I appreciate the replies so far . . .
    I figure Mr. Nino will have to weigh in sooner or later.

Guys, I had a Lakland 55/94 and it's slap tone was great but I thought there was something about the pizz sound that wasn't satisfying. I needed to make adjustments to get what I wanted between the two sounds. I know I am looking for a lot, but HEY, that's what "theSearch" is all about.

I also tried a Lull, sounded great at NAMN and in the home, but on the gig it just didn't satisfy, me or my enginieer(he's also a heckuva bassist)

Mr. Rader mentioned the politeness of the modern, and that's what I always called the Ken Smith/Tobias slap sound "polite" I do like a nasty zing to the top no quite so "polite"

Another thing, is there any difference to the neck profiles? Between the two? Would anybody happen to know the dimensions?

thanks again guys(gals?)
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had a Vintage 5 (which is the same as a Standard 5 except for a p/g & control plate) & currently own a 24 fret 5 (Modern 5) with EMG's.

I feel that my 24 fret w/EMG's is nastier, more aggressive sounding than any of the Sadowsky's Alot more hi end and for me, it's a bass that suits my needs.

The 24 fret basses now come with passive soapbars that are alot more mellower than the EMG equipped 24 fret 5 or the Standard/Vintage basses.

I feel , even though the pre amp is boost only, it is very versatile. You can go from a bright & nasty, to a bassy mellow sound very easily, IMO.

To be honest, I'm happy with one sound. I play pretty much one way, with a pick, (YES A PICK. :)) & I've been happy with my Sadowsky's.
    My 2 Sadowsky 4 strings have the Humcancelling J's. The main difference is that with the humcancellers, when you solo a pick up, it's dead quiet. If you were to A/B a bass with the hum cancellers & single coil's, the SC have a more open sound with more mid range & the HC are slightly compressed sounding but it's not a major difference, IMO. I gat a very agressive "open" sound with my 4 strings. P.S. the HC's are standard in the basess.
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Hi Kevin. Rob DeSantis here. Hope all is well. I've had several of these basses and have always found the single coils to be the most musical and versatile of the two pickup setups. I also prefer the 21 fret model neck to the 24 fret neck. They don't feel like the Roscoes. They are more Fenderish. I would recommend a 21 fret 5 string, vintage or standard model. You won't be dissapointed. Hope all is well in MI. Keep up the good work. Email me soon

10. kenny ames

kenny ames Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN.
    Have owned two of each of the basses mentioned (24 fret Modern an 21 fret Vintage/Standard). My 2 cents would be if your looking for the slap vibe the 21 fret w/ maple board/ash body w/ single coils kicks serious ass. Havent tried the new 24 fret pu's , just the EMG's and while I feel the fundamental is a little stronger w/ the 24 fret EMG combo (for fingerstyle) the slap tone is a weee bit clunky and chunky and the placement of the pu's in the 24 fret doesnt lend itself to the optimum slap tone. Hell, cant remember the original question. The finger style on either bass is damn fine but w/ the single coils you get the exposed polepeice "pratell" thing that the EMG's doesnt quite have. Both record wonderfully. Some food for thought as well, with the 24 fret, EMG makes 4-5 differnt pickup using the same housing as the ones Roger uses. The pickups easily clip in/out using a harness system. Point being if one were inclined you could wind up w/ a butt load of differnt pickup combo's...at this point, it's truly hair splitting. Best of luck!
  11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just love my Vintage 5 - 21 fret.
  12. I remember in May '02 I was at Roger's shop and played a bunch of basses. At that time I preferred all the conventional JJ and PJ models to the 24fret 5.

Still, if you're spending this kind of money don't take a chance: try them both.
  13. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    Once I had 24 frets, 5 string modern Sadowsky with new passive Sadowsky soap bar, but I didnot like the sound and I sold it after a couple of weeks.
    I found the best Sadowsky are the vintage model, and soundwise the 4s are better than the 5s [ I have A/B comparation], not to mention for slapping.
    Once I asked Roger why, he said that is because the mass of the neck.