1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which sandpaper do you use

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phil Mailloux, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Hey guys, I'm trying to find suppliers of decent sheets of sandpaper.

I've been using 3M fre-cut sandblaster sandpaper at my local home improvement store. They're fantastic but at $10 for a pack of 3 sheets they're getting to be real expensive.

I want to start buying them by the box now, either 15, 25 or 50 sheets at a time. Which brand/sort sandpaper do you use and more importantly were do you get a good deal on these sorts of quantities (links most welcome). I'm looking for normal 9"x11" sheets.

2. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The gray 3-M Fre-cut paper is good, but try to get the paper with the older classic wavy pattern, not the plain looking paper.

If you go to the 3-M Gold, that's great paper, I use that the most now, but it's more aggressive than the gray paper. So gold 320 is comparable to gray 220, for instance, in terms of how it cuts.

The gold stuff lasts longer too. You can buy sleeves of paper from auto body and finishing supply places. The 3 sheet pack is way too expensive.

3. i agree with the gold Grey thing... i like the gold better for fine finish and wet polishing (mmm 1500)...but the Grey is nice for btw coats but doesnt seem to last as long wet. also im a big fan of scotch brite for some things too like instead of steel wool as the little dust is not magnetized and wont stick to pickups etc and its good for btw coat scuffs

4. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    If you are sanding wood and want to remove material efficiently/quickly I use Norton sandpaper either Adalox or Champagne Magnum. It cuts fast and lasts a long time so you end up using less paper. Here is a link to the Australian division, Saint - Gobain is the parent company. If you are polishing finishes like lacquer then 3m makes good products

http://www.saint-gobain.com.au/

5. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Norton 3x

6. Norton sells their lower grits (80, 120, maybe more) in contractor packs of 20 sheets. I've gotten it that way at Home Depot and Lowes. It's significantly cheaper than the 3 packs of the same paper.

7. Mirka Abranet, it's cut my sanding time in half.

8. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Thanks for all the opinions guys and thanks powerbass for the australian link, nice touch ;)

The stuff I've been using from 3M is indeed gold colored for the p220 and p320 grits and that stuff is amazing, it cuts really well and last really long and doesn't clog up much. The grey stuff I used in the past was crap next to that. I prefer sticking to something of that quality. I'm not sure if the sandpapers are the same in the states but the p80 and p120 grits are green and purple respectively and those are also very nice for woodwork. Those 4 grits do all the jobs in my shop from raw wood to the end of my lacquer work before the buffing starts.

I never heard of Norton before, if you guys can attest that this paper is as good as the 3M ones I'm using then I', fine trying a box of it. I've used some Mirka products before and like them but never tried their sandpaper, are they also pretty good?

Lastly, if any of you have good links for really cheap online sandpaper please provide the links its often much cheaper for me to buy a few boxes in the states and have it shipped here than it costs to buy local product.

9. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    I've never gone back once I started with the Norton 3x paper. It costs more than standard ol' paper backed, but lasts longer. Overall costs are comparable or just slightly higher, and, to me, the improved cutting and lower clogging due to the stearate is worth the money. I hate sanding, and 3x makes it nearly tolerable.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  11. BassBilodeau

BassBilodeau

Apr 2, 2007
    Sherbrooke, Qc, Canada
    Builder of Bilodeau Basses
    I use belt sander sand paper. That's right! I buy a 4" wide belt and cut it open to have a strap or little pieces. The fabric behind the abrasive side is very strong, it last forever. I use this for grit:36, 50, 80 and 120. Above that, I use Gator for 150-220 and 3M for 320-400.

Just my opinion

12. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I'll back this up, I've got some 36 grit belt paper that I've used to rough out the radius on fingerboards for well over 4 years now! :bassist:

13. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    While we are on the subject of sanding belts, if there is a woodshop near you that has a thickness sander you could get 2 years worth of sand paper from 1 sanding belt from a wide belt sander. Make friends w/the shop and get the stuff they would throw out