Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Sansamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 11, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Tech 21 makes the RBI and one other i believe.

what is the differance between the two? i play in a blues/rock band and would run it with a QSC power amp and an avatar 2x10 for now, and add a 2x12 later.

Does one have better tone shaping than the other? better overdrive?

im kinda lost on these sansamps.

i know i used my buddys DI box and ran it into my pre amp in on my peavey head. and i really dug the bass it made.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I use the BDDI (stomp box) as my preamp (sorta.) The output is pretty low, so I run it into an ART tube preamp, then into my power amp. Works wonderfully! I just happend to have those two items when I bought my power amp,so I have put off buying the rackmount version. If I were you, I would just get the rackmount version and be done with it.

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

what is the ART tube preamp?

quick answer or should i search the archives?

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It is a small tube preamp, primarily for microphones. It works great on anything you plug into it. You won't save any money going that route. As I said earler, I just happened to have those 2 items, and it has worked out for me. By the time you buy a SA and some kind of preamp you will have spent enought to buy the rack mount version. It is said that the SA can be modified to increase the output, but I was too chicken to try that.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Do a search.... :)

There was a thread recently regarding the similarities & differences between the SansAmp RBI and the SansAmp RPM preamps....