Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which scales??(Jason O.or anyone?)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Usul, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Jason,I have the book you recommended: Scales & Modes for the Bass by Hall and Manus.

My question is this:should I try and learn all of them?I like to use them to warm up and am getting a feel for them but ...just wonder if it would be quicker to memorize/learn a select few then move on? Which scales/modes would you tbers recommed to start with.I get confused with this stuff sometimes but know it is vital to becomming a better bass player.

As always...Thanks in advance!
    Usul

2. Alas,I have no teacher :(

At this time I am on a budget and can`t afford one.Also my shedule(work,kids,etc.)is very limited and the teachers I checked with in my area have no openings for the days/times I could be available.

Hopefully the situation will change this year but...until then.

Thanks for your input Ed!

Usul

3. Start with major and minor scales and learn them well. 99% of your playing will use these. Within these two groups you will find blues scale, pentatonic scales, major 7th, dominant 7th and much of the modes. If you get a good grasp of these, the other stuff, augmented, diminished etc will become obvious as you progress. Just as important, or maybe more so, is to learn the composition of chords and the way they are made up of scale components. The majority of a bassists lines are composed primarily of chord tones.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Marty and Ed are right on, speaking words of wisdom and truth. When I went to music school...I'm not saying their method is the absolute best, but is was a system..so you seem to want to know how to start.

We learned the major scale first in every key. (Don't get scared. They all have the same pattern.) As we learned that, we learned how chords are derived from that. That is called "harmonization." The very first chords we learned were the major and minor triads. We learned to arpeggiate them, play them one note at a time up and down.

Then we learned the minor scale in every key. At that time we went from playing chords as triads to playing arpeggios of seven chords.

Then we learned major and minor pentatonic scales in every key and more types of chords such as minor7flat5 chords. We may have learned the blues scale too (or did I pick that up on my own? Don't remember.)

We never started modes until our fourth semester.

Anyway...my point would be. Do not RUSH through these basic fundamentals. If it takes you two years, it takes you two years. Get a firm grasp before you move on to the next level.

The book you bought tells you what chords belong to what scales. Pay attention to that. I don't have the book handy right now, but if I remember correctly, that book also tells you what styles of music commonly use each scale.

You are doing the right thing to ask. There are folks here that can help you with every conceivable question you might have. Good luck. You seem very serious about your studies and I know you will go far.

jason oldsted

5. Ok,

I`m getting a better understanding of how the scales work but still not sure about all the terms I hear.5ths,7ths,major,minor,diminished,etc.etc.etc.

Just fooling around with the differant scales I find I can play a kind of "song" or "tune"....I guess this is the beginning of learning to jam?Kinda neat how it works but I am still in the dark on a lot of it....I`m gonna keep on pluggin` away at it guys!

"What did you do this weekend Bill?"
    "Beer and scales!*urp*"

Gotta run!
    Usul

6. Deicide666

Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Jason- im sorta curious to know what music school you went to because i plan on doing likewise, but i dont really know where to start looking.

7. Melodies are composed of notes from scales. An easy example to hear is the old kids tune "frere Jacque", which is basically just a major scale exercise. Basslines consist of a combination of scales, chordtones and leading tones. A pumping 1/8th note AC/DC line is just the root note of the scale (the 1st note). A boogie jumpblues line is a pentatonic scale. Chord tones are the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th notes of a scale (there are others when you get into jazz). Leading notes are often outside the scale (particularly in jazz) and are used on the 4th beat of the bar (the weak beat) to lead the line into the next chord. I advise pupils to learn to play jazz, regardless of the style you want to play in your band, because jazz is really the only musical form that will give you absolutely everything there is to know about music.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Deicide666, I went to a music school in South America. It was roughly--very roughly--based on the Guitar Institute in Los Angeles, that also has bass, drums, keyboards and maybe even vocals. I don't know. The owner of the school had attended the Bass part of GIT and wanted to set up a similar institute in his own country.

Our "semesters" were really only eight weeks and the school catered mostly to teenagers and college kids. Though it left much to be desired, I felt that the process of putting students together to form bands, rehearse and perform all under the guidance of a teacher was excellent.

They also put students together who had similar interest in music styles. I was in a heavy metal group. That experience was so valuable and I really enjoyed it... except our first reherasal. I thought we sucked so badly we'd never make it, but it was surprising how fast we improved.

I don't know where you can find a school like that in the U.S. short of going to Los Angeles to GIT, or The Berklee School of Music in Boston. Oh, Jeff Berlin's school has a few more instruments now too, so they can make bands.

Good luck.

jason oldsted