1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Schecter is the best

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figbassist75, May 20, 2011.

1. I've been taking a serious look at the basses Schecter offers. In playing most of the ones I could find at local music shops, I have narrowed it down to two.

Since I am new to the Schecter brand of basses, I want to turn to my fellow TB'ers for input on the two I have selected.

One is the Stiletto Extreme 4 and the other one is the Omen Extreme 4. I have played the Stiletto Extreme 4 at GC and loved the feel and the sound of it. I have not found the Omen on any store rack as of yet. If anyone out there owns and Omen how does it compare to the Stiletto Extreme 4?

Any advice you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    I have the Schecter Stiletto custom 4 and its fantastic, I love it.. would never get rid of that one.. also got the Raiden Special 5 and another keeper, not used to 5er's but I will make it happen great bass.. very powerful ..

3. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    i dunno but i want a stiletto. thats a sweet-lookin' bass

4. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Yea It is and sounds fantastic as well.. real nice to play..

5. i dig the raiden. and the schecterbacker is a little interesting.

6. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I played the 4 and 5 string Raiden about a month ago; i was EXTREMELY impressed with it. Not to mention they don't cost much either!!

7. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    The Stiletto Elite 5, neckthru is one of the finest basses ever made.

8. passive 5 string with a pickup split that plays comfy. i was sold.

9. spiltcoil

spiltcoil Banned

Dec 13, 2010
    Don't know what they're called but the ones the guy from STP plays are really nice. Also, if you can find a used one from the 80's they blow away most of Fenders offerings of the era and also some current ones.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The Stiletto extreme is basswood body with maple top and the Omen extreme is mahogany body with maple top. Otherwise the same except for shape. The Omen should be a little bit darker sounding and the Stiletto haveing a little bit more midrange growl. So whichever sound tweak you'd prefer. Or whichever body shape you prefer.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had an Omen briefly, and I've tried out Stillettos in store. I didn't have both through the same amp at the same time so I can't speak to tonal differences - don't remember them sounding all that different, but I could be wrong. What I do remember is the difference in necks -- the Stilletto is aptly named for that very fast neck. The Omen is much chunkier. It's really a personal preference issue, whether you like thicker or slimmer necks, as far as I can tell.

12. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    I just picked up the Raiden Special 5 and it is pretty amazing, especially that its under $500.00.. nice guitar, pretty powerful in it self..

13. LilloEsquilo

LilloEsquilo Banned

Nov 8, 2009
    I bought a Raiden Special 4. Came with just terrible rattle and buzz, and sharp frets.

I was ready to send it back, but LOVED the tone. So I fixed the nut, adjusted the truss rod, set the action, and fixed the fret ends. Now it has the lowest action I've ever seen with no buzz and the sound just has to be heard to be believed, unreal tone. Great playability too.

14. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    @LilloEsquilo .. LOL Way to go.. thats cool that you liked it enough to mess with it and fix it the way you liked.. some guitars are definitely set up when you buy them, even if there already out on display.. I dont know why they dont take the time to set them up right.. sucks.. My American Special wasn't set up correctly , It makes a big difference

15. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Thats the Model T. The USA made ones are supposedly KILLER but you dont come across them all that much.

I have an import I just got last year on Amazon and its definitely a keeper. For me, its my #1 passive. Here's a pic:

100_0543.

The pickups are Seymour Duncans and they absolutely ROCK!

16. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    I owned a stiletto elite 4 that I loved IMO the neckthrough plays better than the bolt-on neck of the extreme but it was a very good bass.

Just played a raiden special 4- and it was really, really good. probably going to go trade in my traben for it tomorrow. 325 bucks for dual j's that coil-split? F*ng sold.

17. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I had a C5 (the string were too close together, I really wish they had been 17.5 or 18mm at the bridge because that Bass sounded great!) and now play a Diamond P 5 Custom (19mm at the bridge). Both have great build quality and the C5 looked Killer !! (Like an Omen Extreme) not to say the P5 doesn't look good, just not as cool (no binding & blocks on the neck) More Fender like..... and that's not bad.

The pickups on both Basses are good choices; passive P5: and active EMG pre with the C5's EMGhz pair (similar to the Omen EX). The pickups on the P5 are close enough in sound to my '97 Fender Am Deluxe P Bass (4 string) that I'm completely over my desire to get a Am Dlx P5

All in all (after playing for over 45 years) I Trust the Schecter brand for high quality [import] instruments for players on a budget who want great guitars and Basses.

:bassist:

Attached Files:

18. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I'm liking the Raiden 4 top of the line with the emg's. or the ultrabass. or the Rickenshecter.

19. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I bought a Stiletto Extreme-4 at Best Buy. Brand new, in the box for almost half off. They go for $399 and I got it for $219. Best 200 dollar bass I've ever played.

I really like the looks of the red Stiletto Elite-4.

Jack

20. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    I'd get one of these :D
    [​IMG]