1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which school is best?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by NDBass, Jan 26, 2012.

1. NDBass

NDBass

Jan 22, 2012
    Brooklyn, New York
    d

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    You might look into Manhattan School of Music

3. I think you're the only person who can answer that question after researching each school. Plus the question isn't really clear. Is cost an issue? Do you want to play only jazz? Do you want to get a music ed. or performance degree? Who do you want to study with? Will you live on or off campus? Most of us can only answer from our own experience (I went to City College of New York and studied jazz performance). I know nothing of the other schools. Do some research online, arrange to visit some campuses. College is a big choice, TBDB is not the best resource for that.

4. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    Look into NYU as well. The jazz bass faculty are Mike Richmond, Ron McClure, Drew Gress, and Martin Wind.

5. ethnotime

ethnotime

Sep 24, 2006
    New York, NY
    Pretty much any 'name' jazz school will be a good school with terrific faculty. It just depends where you want to be and what your interests are (composition? performance only? focus on classical/jazz? etc.).

6. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    If I was coming to NY to learn jazz, I would want to see if I can study with this guy, John also studied classical DB technique.

John Patitucci Music Faculty Profile

Not a school you would normally think of.

I live by Julliard, are you ready for the UWS? ;-)

7. NDBass

NDBass

Jan 22, 2012
    Brooklyn, New York
    Sorry for not being so specific. I would like to study jazz performance, possibly minor/double on jazz composition if that's possible.

8. Jmanbass

Jmanbass

May 14, 2009
    I would suggest looking for a teacher that you really connect with. Some "Good" schools you will study with grad students before you get to study with the main prof. Find a player that you like their playing and you like them personally. good luck

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Also a good idea to crossreference the tour schedule of any currently "popular" bassist, I know that's one of the problems students at the New School constantly undergo - Yay, I can study with (Buster Williams, Scott Colley, Neal Miner, John Webber, Larry Grenadier etc etc etc) until it comes time to try to make up 9 lessons in two weeks because FAMOUS NAME/GREAT PLAYER has been out on tour most of the semester....