1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Schroeder has most low mids?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Nov 1, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Every now and then I'll toy with the idea of selling off my big rig and try out Schroeder's cabinets. For the sake of advancing my GAS, anyone know which cabinet has the most significant low mids bump? Or which would cut through best in a high gain guitar/thundering double bass drummer type setting?

I play in C and D (on the B string) pretty often, with a 35" scale bass for extra tension/articulation, and dig an articulate and aggressive sound in that low range for slapping and punchy rhythms. I tend to cut the 40hz range and bump it up around 180hz. That's where I like my punch/growl.

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Sounds like a 1212R or 1210R would do the trick...if one doesn't cut it, 2 would definitely do the trick!

3. +1... especially the 1212R. The larger cabs are much more even and balanced... it's the 1210 and 1212's that have that low mid punch that many like and quite a few hate! The 1212R will definitely get you there if that's the tone you are looking for. There are usually a few of these for sale used, since some have swapped them out for the new 'L' line, and others have determined the voicing is a little too mid oriented (I assume).

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Does anyone know how the 1212 and 1210 differ?

5. 1212R has deeper lows than the 1210... otherwise, they sound pretty similar. The 1212L sits right between the two smaller 'r' models... the 1212L has deeper lows than the 1210 but more uppder mids than the 1212R. Given that it's quite a bit lighter, I would recommend that cab over the others if you truly are looking for a very mid punchy, loud cab.

6. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    +1 Also the 1212r seems capable of taking silly amounts of eq without strain. If you have an equaliser that lets you dial in some heft right on the bottom (without bleeding into the low mids) plus add some of those upper mids that Ken mentioned the 1212r doesn't sound nearly so honky. I'd be surprised if you ever felt the need to boost @ 180hz with a 1212r, no matter how much growl you like and I'm a bridge pickup junky.

edit: here this might help:

Attached Files:

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I don't know what bumps are where, but for cutting through in a dense mix with plenty of punch, the 410 is excellent.