Which Schroeder (or Eden?) cab for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Alrighty, thanks to the invaluable help of TB I just bought an Eden WT550 and now I need a cab to match it. I am most probably going to order a Schroeder cab but everyone is telling me not to buy sth I can't listen to first and I don't know if it's worth the risk and the money is much enough. I will mainly use the cab in my house for practice at mostly low volumes and maaaybe the occasional gig now and then.

Anyway, at the store in which I got the WT550 (500W) I tested it with an Eden D210XST (500W, 30!hz-14khz, 59 lbs) and a D210XLT (350W, 48hz-14khz, 68 lbs). I liked the sound of the XLT much more, even though the specs of the xst are more impressive.

So, the first option is the D210XLT. I think this will veeery difficultly do the job at a gig, being 350W. Even at the store it started farting out when we really pushed the volume. I'm not buying a cab for gigs, might never do one with my cab, but I want to keep this option open.

This makes the Eden option the D410XLT (700W, 40hz-14khz, 98 lbs). I think this will make for a sound that I really like and would cope with gigs, but 98lbs! Anyway. Plus I'll have warranty 50 miles from my home.

Now to the Schroeders:
    The first option is a 1210. Specs: Regular 850W, 40hz-18khz, 55lbs and Light 700W, 40hz-18khz, 35lbs. I will choose between the Regular and the Lights in a couple of weeks, when I've read the first reviews. I'm sure the lights will be great, I just wanna read about the differences in sound. Well, the 1210 might be the best option, it's rated more than my amp so I will be able to crank it up as much as I want with no problem. BUT I don't know about gigs with no PA support. I know it's loud and all, but I play in a very loud metal band, a bit like Slipknot, and this is just two woofers - no matter how loud they are. Which takes us to...

The 21012. Specs: Regular 1200W, 35hz-18khz, 84 lbs and Light 1000W, 35hz-18khz and 55 lbs. The "problem" with this is that, although some people have told me that Schroeders sound great at low volumes, I've read more reviews that say that they need power to shine - I even read one review that said that it doesn't sound good at low vol. Now my amp is 500W and the volume will be at 1-2 most of the times and these cabs are 1000-1200W. Even the most wattage I will send to them (and that will be rarely) will be less than half the wattage the cab can handle. Maybe it's overkill. But if it will sound exactly as good at low volumes as the 1210, I like being able to "move more air".

Now about the tone: What I'm looking for is something between Ampeg and transparent. What I mean is that I like the Ampeg dirty sound, don't like the totally clean sound (EBS etc) at all, but I want some versatility, don't want to stick with just one tone. The eden cabs seemed to be somewhere in between, correct me if I'm wrong. What I liked about the Schroeders was that they are said to be perfect for aggressive playing, which is totally me, but I also read that they are very "clear". I've got a Warwick Corvette 5 string and I'm looking for a cab to bring that growl out as much as possible, without being farty of course.

Excuse me for going on and on forever, don't know if anyone will read all of this, but I had to describe my situation as fully as possible. Thanks a lot.
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Go with what you KNOW will sound good. The Eden 410XLT. Shroeders get mad props here, from a very vocal group, but there is also a less vocal group on TB that do NOT like the sound of Shroeders. I don't know which group I belong to, because I've never played through one. However, you already discovered you like the sound of the XLT line, so go for it!
  3. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    The only reasons I'm thinking about Schroeder instead of Eden are
    a) the weight, I mean, 98lbs? I'll never take this out of my house. and
    b) the raving reviews. I mean, why get something good when you can have sth even better. The very few times I saw anyone not liking a Schroeder they were saying sth like "great cabs but not the tone I'm after". If they're good for aggressive playing, it sounds like it's very possible I'll like them. But not being able to listen to them first makes me very skeptical as well.
    Any comparisons between XLTs and Schroes are of course more than welcome
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Well, as far as weight, you could really use your situation on either side of the argument. Yes, 98 lbs is alot to move, but if you are just using it at home and the rare gig, you won't have to move it much! My NV610 is 98 lbs, and its actually easier to move than an Eden (or just about any other 4x10) due to the greater height and thinner front to back dimensions. For me, sound would determine more than weight. I wish I could offer you some comparisons. I've owned an Eden D210XLT (several in fact), and Eden 410 XLT, and an Eden 410T, and they were all great sounding cabs, especially with an Eden head. But, as I said before, I haven't had the chance to try a Shroeder.
  5. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    So then geth two Eden 210XLT. You can leave one at rehearsal place and oen at home. You can take both to bigger gigs.

About the farting - if the cab was 8 ohm, it could be the head. Theoretically. :)
  6. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I think it was 4ohm so it's somewhat logical, 500w head with a 350w cab.
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I am definitely NOT an agressive player. I use my fingers. but, I tried the 1210 and thought it was GREAT WITH the band, but I eventually got tired of the mid bite when I was playing alone.

I used the speaker over several days, about 7 hours total. I do prefer the smoother, lower, scooped? tone of my aguilars. I'd rather fight a little eq to GET some mid cut/bite rather than NOT be able to remove the mid-bite.

Thats my experience and opinion. I'd suggest if you like the eden, GET TWO 210'S. 8 ohms each. easier to carry one if you have to do it yourself.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Good suggestion with the two 210XLTs. I did that very same thing for a while.
  9. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I use both an Eden 410T and a Schroeder 1210 (not at the same time) and while I prefer the tone of the Eden, I don't dislike the Schroeder it just takes some time to EQ it to find that "right" tone. The main reason I prefer the Eden is because it does have a bit more booty to it than the Schro, but it's large, heavy, and sometimes too large for some of the gigs I do.

I have good use for both, it just depends on the size of the venue and the type of music. I prefer the Eden for my rock gigs while I like the Schro for the pop/funk gigs.
  10. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Cheers man. How is the 410 for home practice, at low volumes?
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in my experience, the cabs as big as the 410 and 212 from edn can be great, but the size and weight can be an issue.

the 550 is an excellent amp. i had a 400 and plan to get a 550 when i can afford it. The nice thing about the 550 is that it can handle a 2 ohm load, so you have a lot of cabinet options.

If it were me, I'd be looking at getting 2 smaller cabs. Take one to rehearsals and small gigs, and two to medium and large sized gigs.

I'd look around in your area to see what is available. Just bring your head and your bass to play them through.

I have no experience with schroeder, so i cannot comment on them.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Schroeders *will* put out the booty, but you have to roll it in just a little. They don't have the inherent low end the xlt does, but you can dial it in, easy. The Eden stuff is a little warm and gritty as it is, so, good combonation. I have both a wt800B, and a Navigator preamp (used with qsc/plx1602). I have a Schroeder 1210, and 410, and any of the above will definately get it done.
  13. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have heard great things about both cabs. I know I like Eden cabs with Eden heads. Schroeders have very impressive ratings and stats as well but they need a lot of power, they need a lot of juice to power them correctly because they have high RMS ratings! With your head you are better matched with the Eden cabs. I have been considering a Schro but I would have to send in my WT800 for the B upgrade in order to power the Schros correctly so I could bridge at 4oms and get 1100 watts.
  14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You *do not* need a lot of watts to push a Schroeder despite thier high ratings-they're very efficient cabs. My 410, rated at 1400 watts, sounds really good with my 1965 Fender Bassman...which is rated at 50 watts, but probably puts out a solid 35;)
    The rig I use the most is a TFB420 (400 watts) with a Schroeder 120 (rated at 875 watts?), and it flat kicks butt.
    Your eden 550 will push any schroeder well, no worries.
  15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

RMS rating doesn't mean a cab NEEDS to be pushed that hard to sound good. In fact, the Schroeders are reported to sound good with either a little bit of wattage, or alot of wattage. It doesn't matter, they just sound good period.
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I run a 400 watt head into 3 Schroeders at the same time(1212, 1210 and Mini12)! So with the way I wire them... both the 1212 and 1210 get 100 watts each and the Mini12 gets 200

Funny that Sean just posted... he bought a 60 watt Sunn off me shortly after I got my 1210. The 1210 sounded KILLER with that head (just not clean enough as loud as I needed with my 5 and 6 string basses).

At the NYC GTG we had my 1210 plugged into Pointbass's Hartke and tlyons GK.... both *pushed* it fine.
  17. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Yeah, so what? 98 lbs is standard for a 410 cab. It's still lighter than a SVT cab :D

Which means that 98 lbs is only going to be half a stack! Better start working out ;)

That's a huge range that includes... just about everything.

If you want a colored cab, you'll have to find the color you like to be happy. A small super-cab like a Schroeder might solve your weight problem, but you won't know if you like the color until you hear one.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps a 210XLT and a 210XST. Or just the XST by itself.
  19. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Nah, already A/Bed the XLT and the XST and it's XLT all the way for me. The XST sounded more hi-fi or sth and that's not me - and it's even more expensive.
    That 48hz minimum of the XLT worries me a bit though about the low b.
    Dunno, right now the most useful posts would be by ppl who have played both Eden xlt and Schroeder so they can describe the differences. Reading reviews I saw that they are both said to have lots of mids, so I'd like to know the differences. If they are insignificant I will probably go w/ the Schroeder because of the wattage.
  20. DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Having A/Bed Eden 2x10 and Eden 4x10 XLTs ,with Schroeder 1210 and 410 cabs ,I found the Schroeders to be louder in both cases -esp with the band playing:bassist: loud . But they also sound good at low volume-the bass really cuts through the mix better,and you really don't need to feed it all those watts-the speakers are very efficient,and the RMS wattage is just how much it can handle-The Schros have better tone IMHO and the Schro cabs make every head I've tried sound better...:D