1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which seems like a better approach??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jsingles, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I know how to find any note on my neck within a second, however I have noticed that I seem to have trouble with a rather simple exercise I was given by my instructor which requires me to play scales up to speed, whilst naming every note I am playing out loud as it is played.

I need to be able to yell out these notes very quickly as I play through the scale, so I see two main ways of trying to do this..

I could A) try to just memorize the note of every single fret every single day until I can visualize where every single note is better than I can now, and stare at the neck as I play the scale making note of the frets I am playing on in each position.

or... I could B) try to think of what key I am playing in, given my current position, and be able to recall the key signature of that particular key, and talk my way through the musical alphabet using the appropriate accidentals. (example: I am starting on the first fret on the E string, I realize thats F, I realize F has b flat for a key signature, and so I say aloud, F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F

I suppose its two different ways of trying to mentally approach what I am trying to do in a more efficient way...

any comments or other ideas on how to improve this skill?
    maybe I am thinking too hard about this
    :ninja:

2. i think that option B would have a lot more applications once you progress beyond this exersice, like when you start jammin out in the key.

3. I say learn your keys and say the note as you play the scales.

4. yea, it does seem like it is more beneficial to use approach B in the long run.