Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which semi-hollow: Hofner copy or Ibanez Artcore?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 6, 2004.

1. I am interested in buying a semi-hollow bass, but I am not sure which to get. I have always liked the look of the Beatle bass, and how portable it would be. I like the fact that the Artcore has a 34" scale. Which would be better and why?

Thanks!

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

With any beatle bass or copy your pretty much just going to get one tone so it depands what kind of tone you are going for.

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    It depends on what type of tone you are looking for. There is a good chance that the hofner will be more thumpy because of the short scale, but that is largely dependent upon the pickups and the quality of the build since there are so many different Hofner copies around (though they all seem to go for 3-400 bucks. The Ibanez ("artcore" is the name of the series)will probably have a tighter sound, but they are both going to be deep woody, hollow sounding basses.
    Try them out first if you can. And look for reviews online because especially among the many hofner copies there is quite a bit of crap being sold out there. In the end just go with which one appeals to you more.
    I personally lean toward the Ibanez, but that is probably because I already have a vintage short scale viola (slightly larger body than a Hofner "violin", and has "f" holes) bass, and I like 34" scale. I have not played an Ibanez yet, but have played the Artcore guitars, and they are excelent instruments at a fairly low price.

4. MAJOR METAL

Great Post

5. MAJOR METAL

Have you thoght about an Epiphone Jack Casady?

6. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Did not like the Ibanez artcore I played. The guitar line's great, but not only was the construction spotty, the pup was terrible, not sure what they were thinking with the MM.

7. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    If you can, look into a Yamaha BEX4. Im not sure if they're still made though. I bought one a year ago and it is fantastic instrument. Both soapbar and acoustic pickup under the bridge

8. MAJOR METAL

Epiphone Jack Casady Bass :bassist:

9. Agreed.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

I just went to lunch and played bot hof the Ibanez artcores; the sc and the dc.

The sc had a slightly punchier, yet deeper tone.
    the dc was very clear and relatively bright.

I found it easier to get to half pos. on the dc but i like the looks of the sc better. Both had set neck design and were very well built .

11. I tried the Artcores on Friday and my experiences echo Don Z's.

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I fell in love with the DC I played at Sam Ash when I was in NYC.

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I *still* like my DeArmond StarFire!

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Do tell !

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It was Fender's attempt at making a high-quality Korean copy of the Guild StarFire Bass. Semihollow, 30" scale, twin buckers. Very, very nice construction and tone, it just kills with flats. Thump-thump-thump.

Mine's a nice trans cherry, and I even managed to find a OHSC from Bass Place. I got mine on MF closeout a few years back, but they pop up on the 'Bay all the time.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm not a big fan of bursts, but this is all I could find with a two minute Google:

[​IMG]

18. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got one too, in cherry. I agree that it is one heck of a bass for $299. It has USA built pickups and excellent build quality. I use tape wound strings and it has a great "Hofnerish" tone through a B-100R. I couldn't afford to sell it!

19. MAJOR METAL

I have the same amp, it really works well with vintage tones.

20. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I think that the B-100R is a great little amp for the money if you like old school tone. About a year ago I got lucky and got a great deal on a mint 1967 B-15-N. It's like Butter! If you look hard, they can be found for just a little more than a new B-100R.