1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which set of corelli strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by fatgoogle, Jul 27, 2012.

1. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Hi

Well after having my bass for two and a half years or so, my strings need changing i reckon.

I've decided on corelli strings but im not sure what set to go for. Mainly for arco and less for pizz but still quite a lot. But im not sure what set, im guessing i would prefer a medium tension string, but ive heard there lower tension then most other strings. So which set.

They seem to have two different sets of orchestral strings but i dont know which set to go for.

Sorry for the vagueness.

Cheers
    Sam H

2. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Why not try higher up strings like the new D'addario Kaplan or Pirastro Passione?

You can get the Kaplans at Gollihurs for only $202 or something. They're some of the best strings I've ever played, and are fairly great at pizz too.

3. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Then with shipping to Ireland and import duties etc, they'll probably be out my range along with a set up.The main appeal for corelli's was the price and the fact that'd I'd heard they were good for arco.

EDIT: €188 for the passione and €295 for the kaplan's compared to €109 - 149 depending on the corelli strings.

4. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    They aren't very fantastic strings. I don't really know anyone that uses them, and from when I tried them, they were much too quiet.

Email Gollihur and ask them what they can do for you. I really doubt that the shipping from Gollihur will be a lot. If they mark it as 'gift' there might not be any import tax.

Could also contact a shop in the UK.

5. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Google, if I was you, I'd just save up for better strings. It's a bit pointless to lay down that money for strings that just aren't very good.

6. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    I'll admit im a bit clueless, my teacher recommended me a lot of strings most of them out of my price range. i have about €200 max to spend on them, so i could go with passione's but im trying to keep costs down as im also having a set-up done and im a poor broke student(along with plenty of others im sure).

Im pretty much looking for a good arco string that can be played pizz and thought corelli's might be up my street.

7. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I think that the Passiones are a better bet. And, if you don't like them, they have a good resale value.

I'm waiting on a set myself!

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Disclaimer: I've not used Corelli strings. I have used pretty much every other string ever made, but not Corellis.

But, they don't have a reputation of being poor strings. They have the fans, including some very good players like Lynn Seaton. They may not be for everyone and more to the point, they probably work much better on some basses than others, but there are no quality issues that I've ever heard in 15 years of talking and reading about people's experience with strings.

Not saying you should or shouldn't use them, but search this forum for past discussions on them so that you can get a more balanced view of people's experiences and impressions. Maybe some Corelli users will chime in here too.

That said, the main reason I've never used them is that in that gauge, Spirocore Weichs work so beautifully for me arco and pizz that I've never needed to try anything else (in that gauge). I'm currently into things a little bit meatier under the paws.

9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The corelli 380 series is the most "normal" orchestra string - rope core etc. A 380 F would be a decent orchestra string; I use the 370 TXF strings -which are tungsten wound, and are a little thin sounding for section work, but are fine for most everything else.

Olivier in France has a set of Presto Balance orchestra strings for US$ used - and these are good strings.
    Louis

10. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    370f is a good bet, i use them for both pizz and arco and they run about $106.

11. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Cheers guys, a lot of help. Im either going to get the corelli's probably 380F or possible the d'addario Kaplans. Ive emailed Bob gollihur about both strings and ill see what he has to say aswell. Thanks again.

12. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I would recommend contacting savarez themselves to see what they recommend. i`ve had some very good experiences with them in the past. Their email is on the website.

13. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I have used the Corelli 370TX. But for me they lacked power. I use Superflexibles now which I like better.

14. My bass opened up nicely when I put a set of 370TX on a few months ago. Recently (and unsolicited), my wife yelled down from the upstairs sewing room saying that the sound I was producing was noticeably louder/fuller/prettier. This means alot because she doesn't really notice things like this.

Previous strings: Obligato, Evah P (reg and weich), spiro mitt S42, Permanents, SuperFlexible, Flexocore.

I have not played them in the bass section yet though.

Pizzicato, they're OK, but could use a little more clarity -- but I think that's just my bass.

I'm really jonesing now to try Spiro weich.

15. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    My bass is a ply, but I use Corelli 380s and I like them. The low tension is nice. I play pizz and arco, tho I do use a Prelude E string. I've had this set on for over a year and haven't noticed any drop off in sound and no problems with the strings at all.