Which setting do you use mainly on your Stingray5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Which setting do you use mainly on your Stingray5?
    In which position have you got the switch and what about the tone knobs?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like getting the single coil sound on an SR5.
  3. Usually...

For Jazz gig...
    Treble, Mid & Bass - Flat,
    'Parallel' on pickup selector.

For Rock gig...
    Treble & Mid - Flat,
    Bass - Maximum,
    'Series' on pickup selector.

I don't particularly like the 'Phantom Coil' setting - I find it a little too compressed.
  4. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I actually rarely use an amp, and instead go through a sans amp bass di. Anyway, usually, I have treble boosted between 30 and 50%, with everything else flat. A lot of the treble boost is just to add brightness back when the nickle strings get old. If I was using something brighter, I'd likely just keep everything flat. Adding any bass makes it too boomy, usually. Everything else, I agree with this, I generally use series for rock and when I want to cut through, and for slap and kind of a warmer tone I use parallel.
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Whenever I played my friend's SR5 I'd use the selector in the "all the way back" position (whatever that is), and bump up the bass a bit, sometimes I'd back off the mids. The other two switch positions sounded less focused and more (having trouble coming up with the right word so I'll use) "goinky".
  6. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I use the postition pointing towards the bridge (I don't know what it is) with the mids dimmed and the bass and treble boosted. This gives me an almost Ric like tone when played with a pick. I also use the position pointing towards the neck with the mids flat, the treble up about 75% and the bass boosted. I like this for fingerstyle.
  7. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I use mainly the back (Parallel) position, but sometimes the neck (series) for a change up. Boost the treble about 75%, Leave the mids flat, and boost the bass about 70-75 percent. When I want a more mellow sound I set the treble flat boost the mids about 50% and usually keep the bass the same.