Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which setup should I look into?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xax712, Feb 25, 2002.

1. GK 400RB w/ 210 and later add a 15

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. SWR-350 w/ Goliath Jr. and later add a Son of Bertha

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. SWR-350 w/ Goliath Jr. and later add a Triad

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. SWR-350 w/ Triad and later add a Goliath Jr.

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Peavey Nitrobass w/ 210 and later add a 15

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Hartke 3500 w/ 210 and later add a 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (please specify and keep in mind my situation)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ok I'm looking to get a new amp and I know that I'm not going to need a huge noise setup just something that I can get good tone and versatility out of. Later I plan to ad some pre-amps and stuff. I also plan on getting a beta52 to mic with, since stage noise isn't good and I need great lows. So out of the following scenerios which would be the best and why?

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I personally really like the Peavey stuff, that's what I'd go with.

3. >I personally really like the Peavey stuff, that's what I'd go with.

I agree. I own a lot of their gear and find it to be the best value for the $$. It is reliable, rugged and produces great tone.

FYI, my Peavey gear is:

cabinets: 412 TVX, 210 TXF. 115 BX
    amplification: Max pre-amp (connected to a Mackie 1400i)
    combo amps for practice: Basic 112, Studio 40

But try out as much stuff as you can before you decide.

John

4. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have basic 112 right now and like I said I talked to our keyboard player who also owns a studio and runs sound for various local venues and he told me that gettting the peavey 412 like I wanted to would look really cool but until we start playing for 3,000+ crowds it's very impractical. So that's why I've narrowed it down to these options. I've been really impressed with the SWr stuff, but I have 3 options. So please guys keep the feedback coming in.
    Thanks,
    Brad

5. >gettting the peavey 412 like I wanted to would look really cool but until we start playing for 3,000+ crowds it's very impractical.

My band doesn't play in front of 3000+ people and I certainly did not get the 412 because it looks cool even if it's a great looking cab. Rather, it has great tone, gives me plenty of headroom, is a very dependable piece of equipment that was priced just right.

But you're generally on the right track with your alternatives !

John

6. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I wasn't meaning to be cruel, but I'm working with who we have running sound and recording us and I'm trying to get what could be most beneficial to me in the long run. don't get me wrong I like the peavey 412, but it jsut doesn't fly for a Praise and Worship band. But for my situation I have narrowed it down to these choices and that's what I think would best suit me and our band. I also think saving some of the money that I will with one of these set-ups over a 700+ watt head and a 412 or 410&15 set-up caould help with what I'm trying to attain in sound quality.
    Thanks for all the help guys & please keep voting,
    Brad

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd get the gol JR and then get the triad. the triad isn't very loud by itself and kinda gets buried in the mix, but for some reason when you put a goliath JR on top it becomes a small animal exploding machine!

jason

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Depends on what you drive it with. I've had it absolutely fill a small club when driven by a Bass 750. Of course, you gotta use the limiter and keep the master level down a bit. I've also used the cab alone with a Mackie 1400i with good results. You should always take wattage ratings with a grain of salt. Yes, they mean something but you can always drive a cab with an amp that has more wattage than what the cab is rated at as long as you use some common sense and sanity.

9. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    So would the 350 not have enough bang to power the Triad????
    I need to know these things so thanks. I'm also heading into the music stores this afternoon to check out some of the SWr stuff and also Peavey, but nobody around here carries any GK or Hartke stuff. But really I just trust the opinios of the guys on talkbass and want to know what you think?
    Thanks,
    Brad

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think the 350 would probably be OK, if a bit underpowered for the Triad. I would personally prefer something a little more powerful but the 350 would work. But running the 350 at 2.6 ohms (as would be the case with a Triad and another 8 ohm cab) or at 2 ohms (with the Triad and another 4 ohm cab) might be asking a lot of it and I'm sure it would run pretty hot.

One last thing: be sure to check out the Triad extensively before you buy. It's a weird cab and not for everyone. That crossover is sorta hard to get used to and it can be fat on the bottom and pretty thin on top.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the only time i used it by itself was for a medium sized club with a a pretty loud jazz fusion band - and i was running bridged 1kW into it, and it sounded pretty muddy. but it was loud enough.

i tried to run it like that again with PP, and there was no way in hell it was loud enough, i had to borrow the clubs ampeg 4x10 to put underneath it, and even then it wasn't as loud as my normal rig.

but i did used to power my 2x10 (4 ohm) and triad with my 350 for about 6 months, and it never complained. (the amp that is - it toasted all my speakers from being clipped so much)

jason

12. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I once saw a metal band in Australia and the bass player was using a triad and a henry the 8*8 and god damn was that thing bloody loud!! Mo-Bass head too!!!

13. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ok I went to check out some stuff at the local SWR dealer and they actually very rarely keep any SWr Professional series stuff in stock, but can order it for me. Ok we chatted and he didn't have the 350 head, triad or, Goliath Jr. But I am really considering just getting the Goliath Jr. for now and waiting before doing anything more, because I want as little stage noise as possible and the 350 does have a Direct output (just like every other SWR head). The job our band is looking @ for the summer the bass player that held it down last summer actually had a Super Redhead and he kept it turned around towards the wall to cut down on stage noise. We want to run everything through monitors and hope that will be good enough. Anyway keep the input coming since I'll probably have to drive to Tulsa jsut to check out the SWR stuff in person, but I'm very impressed with what I've heard and the Silverado I played on, but it was already sold.
    Thanks,
    Brad

14. trussman

trussman

Jun 16, 2001
    Alvin,Texas
    The Gallien-Kruger that you posted is the exact rig I use and it is one bad a$$ rig! For the price and the size you cant beat a G-K.

15. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    id say go with SWR... you might, however, prefer an Eden 210xlt w/ Eden head....