Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which shall i buy geddy lee jazz bass or the stringray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mykeindk, Feb 4, 2003.

1. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    ok i need you help right now i need to know if i should buy a geddy lee jazz bass or a sting ray???

i've been playing a lot of choking victim songs and the bass player uses a american jazz bass and i've been using my friends standard jazz bass and it sounds just like it and i've been digging the tone it gives out i've played the geddy and it plays like a dream but iv'e never played the string ray is it any good please help :( i want to know if i could get a good tone like the jazz bass or damn :( what should i do someone please help!

2. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Geddy Lee bass ownz . . .

3. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    does it own the string ray though?

im diggin the jazz bass alot i say i buy the geddy then save up then buy the sting ray? :D

4. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I personally think it ownz over most everything including a stingray. I don't like the tone of the popped/plucked G string on stingray- too thin. The Fender is always fatter sounding and the versatility, thin neck and great looks of the GL jazz in particular make it a superb bass. 3 people i know have bought them after playing/hearing mine . . . two were students and the third was a fellow teacher.

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    stingray 5 or sterling. THEN get the geddy used. all i have is a j style and a ray now. dont feel i need anything else.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like the Geddy better than a Stingray. The fact that the Geddy is half the price of a Ray even brand new is just icing on the cake.

7. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I think the Geddy would have more tonal versatility, excellent tone and it definitely has the looks.
    I think the 'Ray' would edge it out ONLY if you had to have THE 'Ray tone.
    I love that Geddy Jazz and I've almost completely sworn off of 4 strings.

my .02

K

8. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Sit down and play both out of a nice amp..stingrays will blow away a geddy easily..but i personally dont care for jazz basses..i have a stingray and mia pbass and thats about all i need.
    good luck..i really dont think you could go wrong with either..

9. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've got 2 G&L's, a Rick, and an upright, and I still fantasize about the Geddy Lee that I didn't buy at the Mars going out of business sale.....one day...

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    GL and Stingray are VERY different...I don't see why even try to compare them. Buy the one that suits YOU.

11. Seems like Jazz basses and Stingrays are on par. Like Brook said, you'd have to sit in a store and A/B them to find out what you want to play.

I like the necks on Stingrays...so nice...

12. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    exactly, those are different basses. i think the jazz would be more versitile but if you like rays than go for it. they are both nice basses.

13. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    thank you guys for all your help im going to get that geddy lee and the sting ray later on the road.

once again thank you all for replying to my message

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool, let us know how you make out. Also, just as a heads-up...

I've seen some Geddy Lee basses that weren't entirely on par, so inspect whichever one you find with a fine tooth comb. This model is pretty consistent across the board, but the occasional quality control oversight is to be expected in this price range. In my experience with these basses, this always has to do with the quality control of certain materials, not the actual construction of the bass itself. Shortcomings are most often related to the neck.

The good ones out there are incredible basses though, I've just run across a few that had neck problems. I had to have the neck replaced on one of mine, but now it's mint. It had a truss rod problem, but Fender eventually sent me a replacement neck at no charge, and it's perfect now. My other one was perfect right off the wall in a local store, and I dropped a J-Retro into that bass. That one gets gigged regularly, I'll be playing it this Friday night for some songs.

Good luck!

15. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    better question........

which has the thinner neck?

stringray
    or
    geddy lee?:eek: :confused:

16. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    i'd bet the GL is thinner - it's 1.5 at the nut, and since it's a one piece maple neck with no fingerboard at all, the neck is dead thin cross-sectionally as well. It's absolutely so small and easy to play . . .

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Geddy Lee has a slimmer neck. It is narrower and thinner at the nut than anything else on the market.

18. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    Nice well looks like im getting the geddy then the stingray down the road.