Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Shen?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by matt essay, Jan 25, 2005.

1. matt essay

matt essay

Dec 28, 2002
    Healdsburg CA
    Well,

After long looks into the newbie links and long searches on the forum and the internet i thought i was going to get a new standard as my first bass(i want a good starter). But when i saw that the la scala model with the carved spruce top is over $1000 more than the all plywood i dont think that i should start out with it. Then i found some information on The shens w/ carved spruce tops and plywood backs and ribs. They seem pretty apealing. So considering i want to both play pizz and a lot of arco which bass would be better suited for me the SB150 or the SB180.

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Matt,

The actual difference between the two is that the SB180 has flamed German maple outer veneers on the back and ribs, whereas the SB150 has plain Asian maple veneers. Both have carved spruce tops, and the inner ply's are Asian maple on both. So the difference is in the eye-candy.

Good luck, and thanks for your interest!

John

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think it's worth it. My 180 is very nice looking. There are a few good photos of it posted here. Just search "Shen" in the thread title and look for "The Shen is In." I do wonder if they use the nicer grained tops on the 180. Mine is about as nice as any I have seen.

4. matt essay

matt essay

Dec 28, 2002
    Healdsburg CA
    Considering that the sb180 only has maple veneers,that doesnt sound like its worth the extra dough. So now I am pretty set on the sb150, but is there any place in Northern California that I could try one or would I have to buy and test one like chasarms did from nicklloyd.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have a 180 in at the moment and it has a VERY nice top.

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    what kind of finish do the shen's have, like the fully carved models.
    i'm assuming its some kind of quality spirit varnish or oil.
    anyone? anyone? :D
    jeff

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    The carved models all have a rather nice oil varnish.

8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Mostly right Don. :)

Ply's & Hy's: Nitrocel lacquer
    Willow & spruce carved: Oil
    Maple & spruce carved: spirit

9. FYI... I picked up a Shen sb200 for $2500.00 so keep an eye out,, Never know what you might find.

Good Luck,
    Dave