1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Shin-Ei FY-2 Fuzz Clone Would You Choose??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Land of the Rising Fuzzzz:
    http://fridgebuzzz.com/LOTRF.html

Unpleasent Companion Fuzz:
    http://www.fredric.co.uk/shin-ei-fy-2-fy2-clone-unpleasant-companion

Wattson Classic FY-2 Fuzz:
    http://www.wattson-fx.com/

My take is I would go with the Land of the Rising Fuzzz.

- It has what the other two have (Fuzz & Volume knobs) but the added 2 different modes (Mode 1 is more true to the original voice, Mode 2 is a more subtle Shin-Ei tone), and it has the added tone control. But I'm wondering if the other two are more "true" to the classic circuitry? Am I missing something here? It has "more", but cost less... ??

Anyway - which would you go with and why?

2. It seems like you have answered your own question, so get it.

3. I was wondering about the circuitry "purity" though... ?

Im aware this whole Radiohead tone has bee. Beaten to death, and that this pedal is labeled a one trick pony, but it truly seems the Fridebuzzz opens up some tones...

4. Honestly I have never heard much about the pedal, one way or another. From the sound samples, it seems more versatile than most Shin-EI clones. Without schematics to the pedal, I have no clue how "pure" the circuit is, I am guessing you mean true to the original design by purity.

5. Yes, exactly... although Im starting to wonder how "true" I care the pedal to be in terms of low end loss/compression.

Circuit guru - any mods that can be done to preserve the low end, while still keeping the overall aggressive bite?

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Honestly I've never tried the FY-2 Companion fuzz on bass, I always assumed it would cut the lows significantly because of how choked and nasal it sounds. I would guess that without some kind of blend/bi-amp situation the bass thump will be total eliminated

7. ^ I doubt its that bad... why would Collin Greenwood use it for so many years, live and in studio. His tone isnt "thin" at all.

Here's a live example of the pedal at work -

8. 1- I don't know much about Radiohead, I do love In Rainbows, but Isn't Greenwood a guitar player?
    2- The whole, so and so uses this pedal with great results thing, has only got me in trouble in the past. Just consider that someone like Colin Greenwood has alot of pedals and expensive gear at his disposal to make his sound work. So if you don't, you might wanna just go with a pedal that's a bit more bass friendly.
    But hey, do what you gotta do. Let us know if it's as awesome as you want it to be.

9. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Johnny plays guitar, Collin plays bass. That aside your other points are spot on. Professional players are often using complex live mixing techniques with the aid of full time sound techs. This can involve extremely complex routing, multiple amps, massive house support. Sure he may use it, it may sound great in that context, but the pedal is only a tiny part of that equation.

Not discouraging you, just trying to make sure you go in with your eyes open.

torza and Driven Crane like this.
  10. ^ Yup, I hear ya. I DO see this as a more 'mid-present' pedal, and I find Collin's tone to be more mid-present when he uses this pedal.

Listen to National Anthem... the bassline ins't chest pumping low-end.

But all and all, yes, I know there's a lot of post production going on.

I pulled the trigger on the pedal - I'll see how it goes on Friday. I think in the mix, you want a more mid-present tone anyhow. Some of these "scooped", or bass heavy pedals get lost in the mix - perhaps that's the beauty of the Shin-Ei... I'll see I guess.

But truth be told - I wouldn't mind a dry/wet blend. Anyone know of a pedal guru that could mod this? Or is there a device I could add to achieve this?

11. The Shin Ei is known for its scoop.

heavyfunkmachin likes this.
  12. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Fxdoctor.com - Josh is a good dude, I've had him mod a bunch of my pedals. He could probably get a clean blend added onto the pedal for a reasonable price.

13. So no low end, and a scoop. How is that possible ?

14. excellent - thanks!

15. I built a Shin Ei FY-2 on my Beavis Board last year and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Collin either has it blended with a healthy dose of clean signal or has a hell of a lot of bass boost in his signal. The FY-2 is a very cool sounding pedal, but almost all of its frequency content is in the low-mid mids, and it has a prominent scoop in the high-mids. Here is its frequency plot when I model it in LTSpice:

[​IMG]

And here is a clip of me playing "The National Anthem" and "Exit Music" through that circuit, with absolutely no processing or EQing. Just bass->Shin Ei->Mixer->laptop

It does have SOME bass, but the mids just completely overpower it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    heavyfunkmachin likes this.
  16. ^ Thanks - at work right now so I can't listen... but I'm interested to hear it.

What I like about the Fridgebuzzz pedal is Mode 2 - it allows more of the clean signal through, and still has "that" sound - but a bit more subtle.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  17. Has anyone come accross a pedal that has the Shin-Ei tone (cold, hard clipping type fuzz) - but more "bass friendly" ?

I've been youtubing my @ss off and have yet to find one that comes close to this unique tone...

Every fuzz out there for bass seems very "heavy metal, grunge core metal, rip your face off" orientated tone. I don't play metal at all... fusion/funk.

18. Okay, I spoke with Josh @ Fxdoctor.com and he said he can put a clean volume knob on this pedal...

Being I just want to add a little bottom, I would think adding a low-pass filter would be best, no?

And if so, at what freq do you think would be best to roll off at? 300hz? 500hz?

19. ^ nobody?

Think I should go higher - perhaps around 800hz ?