Which Shirt Scale Bass Should I Get???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jalen Fuller, May 3, 2020.

1. Hey, I just recently purchased a Hofner Ignition Violin Bass thinking’s it is a cool instrument and being drown to short scales lately I thought it would fit the bill, but once playing it with a backing track I’ve began to realize that she sound isn’t as full as my P bass or any other short scale model I’ve played on. In addition the neck and the body feels weird to me as I’m used to fender like basses. So to wrap things up I’m sending it back to the retailer and am now looking to purchase a more comfortable short scale with a body that I’m more familiar with. Do anyone have an suggestions for good short scales?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Mustang!!!

design, Florinda4, smogg and 18 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Mustang PJ.

design, smogg, Bassamatic and 8 others like this.
  4. The Fender Mustang PJ is a very popular short scale pick for a lot of people. MIM so reasonably priced, very popular so I'm sure a used one would be found easily enough, and it has standard Precision & Jazz pickups so it'll give you that Fender sound. Also easily upgradeable/changeable if you want a different vibe.

Sterling by Music Man have also just released a short scale Stingray, passive with series/singlecoil/parallel modes, so will also get close to a Fender vibe (maybe not in the same way as the PJ). I'm very interested in that model, there's some great videos out there showing the sound, and it's still mid-range in price, a little more than the Mustang PJ. I'll probably end up getting one to try. There's also a US EBMM model if you want to spend much more money.

Squier have a Classic Vibe Mustang range, one traditional Mustang split coil pickup rather than the PJ of the MIM, which will likely be a more 'vintage' sound. This'll be the lowest priced option of the ones I've mentioned. If the traditional Mustang sound is what you're after, there's a more expensive MIM Vintera model, and another step up with the US Performer range (which have a Mustang pickup, and a Jazz bridge pup as well).

I'm not a SS expert by any means, but I have been interested in one, and these are the ones that have caught my eye in that price range. Sire are also releasing a short scale PJ bass, and there's a Gibson Les Paul Jr SS bass that seems reasonably popular, and can be found at a decent price. I can't try those out & have no experience with the brands, so they're not on my radar as much, but might resonate with you.

Jim Carr and Voyevoda like this.
  5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The models that came out about 2 years ago (what were they called?), just killed.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Plain white T.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I use a Hofner Ignition Club bass which is much more familiar to me than the violin style I used for a few years before the Club became widely available. The necks are the same but I like them a lot. It gets most of my playing time.

My other most frequently used bass is a Mustang P/J. The only thing I that keeps me from playing it more is that it's almost twice as heavy as the Hofner and weight has become an important issue in my geezerdom, but other than that it's fine.

Another one I used quite a bit is the Squier Jaguar VM shortscale. They have the my favorite neck profile I've ever played in my 50+ years of playing. They're not made anymore but I saw a couple used prior to the pandemic closures.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

9. I am looking at both the player mustang and the Vintera Mustang but I’m split on which

EatS1stBassist and Jim Carr like this.
  10. I was also wondering if the Hofner Club would be a better fit since it has a bigger body

Jim Carr likes this.
  11. B-Mac

I see you recently joined TB on April 21, 2020
    If no one has said it yet, may I be the first....WELCOME TO TALK BASS!!!! :)

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Road Worn is cool:
    Fender JMJ Road Worn Mustang Bass - Black
    Fender JMJ Road Worn Mustang Bass - Faded Daphne Blue

I head one of these and it sounded great:
    Fender Special Edition Mustang PJ Bass - Tidepool with Pau Ferro Fingerboard - Sweetwater USA Exclusive

Looks like an eggplant in a good way:
    Fender American Performer Mustang Bass - Aubergine with Rosewood Fingerboard

design, dmt and mikewalker like this.
  13. B-Mac

This Mustang CME edition is pretty cool looking though I've never played one. I believe they are MIM.
    jeqnv2ebyeiy1r2zjcg8.jpg

14. I like the vibe and feel of the JMJ bass and as result I really got into his stuff from Beck and M83 especially

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Mustang

Jalen Fuller likes this.
  16. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    What’s your budget? On the lower end, the short scale version of the Squier Jaguar Bass is pretty killer. They quit making them, but they come up used on eBay & Reverb pretty often.
    If you can swing $1k, I just bought a Reverend Sentinel and it absolutely rules.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Stratomato likes this.
  17. It really depends on if you want a button down or pullover.

18. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    IMG_2161.JPG My wife loves hers.

19. Super Bass

Super Bass

Feb 4, 2017
    I prefer Plain black T.

20. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    If you want deep and punchy..... Starcaster.
    20161212_162917.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022