Which Short scale flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by b15fliptop, Mar 5, 2004.

1. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I love TI flats on a long scale bass, but I find that on a short scale they're thinner sounding. Seems like the fundamental isn't very well defined. Most people say try D'Addario Chromes for a similar sound with a bit more tension, but they aren't available in short scale. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000

I don't think that anyone is making short scale flats. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen them on any of the web stores. Hmmmm......

You might have to improvise, adapt, and overcome!
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I can't make a recommendation, but you can get GHS short-scale Precision flats, Labella short-scale Deep-Talkin' flats, I think Rotosound RS77S are short-scale (hence the "S"), Rotosound RS88S tapewounds, Pyramid makes a short-scale set, and there are probably others. I haven't used any of these except the RS88S on my old Dano Longhorn. I found them thumpy and URB-ish.
  4. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Hmm, I am just about to order a short scale bass *Allen Woody Epiphone* and was going to put TI flats on it. I'm supprised they sounded thin on the posters bass. Did you use the short scale set with the 107 on the E or did you cut down a set of regualr length Ti's with the 100 on the E?
  5. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    In addition to the TI's, La Bella 's "Beatle Bass" set is short scale. Rotosound flats (Jazz Bass) come in short too (as well as medium).

6. victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    I used the D'addario Chromes on my Allen Woody Bass and just had to cut them shorter. It seemed kind of strange but I haven't had any problems in the 5 months thy've been on. Even with these strings I used to turn the tone almost all the way down, but now I can use it full on and it sounds good.
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1. On my short scale MusicMaster I have used long scale strings for years. Short scale strings are just too hard to find and tend to be more expensive. The MusticMaster is a reissue and the strings go through the body. I have the light D'Addario Chromes on right now and they work great.
  8. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Bleh, I guess I will just have to buy several sets of strings till I find what I like. I have been using TI flats for years on my Jazz bass so I am I bit biased.

Hey! what about a tape wound set on the semi-hollow Allen Woody. That might sound interesting.