1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which should I get? BTB, SR, Ray35

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikio, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Hey all. The thing is that I tested this 3 basses a while a go, and this is what I have to say before somebody could give me advise (please :bassist: )

My options:

BTB676: I totally loved this bass, it was comfortable, looks cool, seems versatile, the preamp is quite sensitive, you move a knob and the tone changes. But the sound of this bass isn't quite my thing.

SR506: This one seemed a bit small for me, but I've always liked the tone on this one. I really liked the fact that the newer models have a switch that changes the Mids frequencies. It's very and all, but I felt better with the BTB, though the tone on this one was better for me. I heard this ones are hard to set up properly and even that they can't be perfectly intonated (but I kinda don't believe this)

Sterling Ray35: The only non Ibanez and the one I originally wanted. I've been diggin the sound of the MM type humbucker for a while and I decided to test this bass. It was way better than I thought it'd be, I loved the tone, it was very strong and has a massive low end! yet it's punchy!. Really liked the sound and feel. But the string spacing was tighter than I thought it'd be, and also the switch doesn't change the tone thaaat much and the pre's EQ doesn't change the tone that much either. Still totally love the sound.

General aspects: I wouldn't have a doubt in getting the Ray, cause I like it a lot, but the other 2 options being 6 strings make me doubt a lot, because I've never had a 6 strings before and the idea is quite exciting!!! and they all have the same price (almost)

I already have a Fender Jazz that suits me for my own music and for general recordings, so I want something different with a more modern sound, and from this options, I still can't decide. I would use this bass for pop and metal (lol), as my J bass is for anything else (even some pop and some metal)

So thanks in advance for anyone interested in helping me out with this ;)

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You said the sound of the BTB isn't quite for you. That should automatically write that one off.

You mentioned the SR seemed a bit small for you, but the tone was better for you.

Other than the string spacing of the Ray35 (which is still no where near as tight as any SR's), you seemed to have nothing but positives for the Ray35. Which leads me to believe you won't have any regrets about the Ray35 and would enjoy it the most.

Sounds to me like you answered your own question in your original post about which one to go with.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Thanks =) , you're probably right.

But the thing with the BTB is that it's the one I like the most! and that I don't dislike the tone, just might not be quite what I want, not sure though (I'll test it again)

The SR is just as small as the Ray (string spacing).

And the Ray is the number one tone.

Well, thanks. I will put the Ray as 1st priority, but will check them all again =).

*realizes the problem of this kind of threads*

4. see if you can play them through your amp and or with some of your band mates if you have any. basses have a tendincy to sound different alone compared to a band

5. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    If you like the BTB676 but not sold on the tone or sound I highly recommend trying the 1206 or 1306 prestige models. The 1206 seemed to get better press but both these have upgraded electronics compared to the 676. They have custom USA made Barts with a custom preamp. I used to own a 1205 (regret selling it) and have played the 675 in the store. There's big difference in tone. The prestige is much more refined and smoother.