Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Option 1

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Option 2

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alright, here goes.

Im not too sure what I want yet, which is a bit of a problem. I want versatility. But I also want a killer tone for everything, and I used to want a 5 string, but I dunnknow if I still do. Anyways, here are the two options.

Im also not too sure about what the price difference would be here? If you can help please with pricing :)

I would run these through a SWR Workingmans 12"

Option 1

Ibanez BTB405QM. Nothing really to say, I'd just get this bass, 5 stringer, great versatility and electronics option, etc. Between $400-600

Option 2

Get a Fender MIM Jazz. Put in Vintage Pups (basslines or fender vintage?), Badass II Bridge, and a Sadowsky Preamp (that possible? if not, just a J-retro)

What would you go with?

What would the pricing be on the second option?

Im somewhat leaning to the 5, because its versatility is nice. But Im betting on much sweeter tones from the Fender.

If only I could do both :\ Anyways. Vote away! And give me some good reasons! :D

2. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    bump. help out guys!

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I would go for option 1 for now and do option 2 with MIA Jazz later.

4. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Not a bad idea. Anyone else?

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would go with a five string Jazz and a J-retro.

Its like throwing the two ideas together.

In my opinion, a Jazz bass is a better way to go, but that extra range is always useful, so by putting the two together you should be satisfied knowing you got the best deal possible.

Peace
    Nick

6. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    except for the minor fact that the spacing is too narrow on the Jazz V's and the B string blows goats.

7. I voted for the Jazz option, for the main factor that I don't like the cheaper BTB's that much at all. If you got up into the more expensive 500 series, that would get my vote, as they are a lot better, imo. You would have a killer sounding Jazz though, that would probably suit you really well (except for the lack of a 5th string).

jtbp

8. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    See, I presonally don't like the 500 models. The different woods used just aren't as comfortable to me and dont sound as good. Thats personal opinion though.

Im leaning all the more towards the BTB now, because putting those upgrades in a Mexican seems kind of a waste of money :\

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, you can find MIMs that sound and play better than MIAs; I have, and I'm sure others have as well. The thing with all bigger production line companies is that there's a lot of variables, so you can get a good one or a bad one. IMO Fender and Ibanez both fall under that category, but I'd lean towards the Fender, or just save a little more and have a lot more to choose from.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I wouldn't say a wast of money. It would end up being quite expensive.

$100-150 for the p/u's
    $70 for the BadAss
    $198 for the Sadwosky
    $??? installation

Personally, I'd look for a pre owned USA Jazz & do the mods. The USA bridges, IMO, are good & the pick ups might not have to be changed or you can find one with changd pu's.

11. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Thx Nino. See, I was afraid it would cost a bit much :\

Hmm, vote is tied though. *eerie drum roll begins*

Come on guys :D

Im still leaning towards the BTB, just so I have at least 1 5 string that I like.

Plus, I'd probly want to find a reissue Fender to customize once I could afford it.

Or scrap it all and get me a Sadowsky
    /end sarcasm

12. I would go the BTB route. They have killer B strings for any price range, and this way you'd have your fiver. Then, you could concentrate fully on what kind of a Jazz bass you really want.

First, quench that five string thirst! :cool: ;)

Mike J.