1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which should I keep? SVT-II vs V-4BH vs M2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by verite, Sep 8, 2006.

1. I think I have too many amps right now. I play Jazz or Rock, but I prefer a 'tubey' sound even for my jazz stuff.

In addition to my practice amp, I have:

Mesa M2000 - This amp is great for it's size and weight. Tons of power, and lots of options. Very punchy sound, but still warm. I can easily carry this and my basses in one trip. Still, all other things being equal I like the sound of an SVT better.

SVT - II - Lots of headroom, pretty much any tone available. Since there is no seperate gain, can't dial up overdrive at low volumes, but besides that this thing is best of both worlds. The only problem - it's SO heavy, especially in it's flight case, and I rarely need all that power (most clubs in LA have good sounding PA's to send a DI to)

V4BH - I just bought this because I thought it would a more convenient option than the SVT-II. It is lighter, but since it's so bulky I don't know if it really saves me that much schlepping. The sound however is fabulous, though it isn't as loud or as flexible as the SVT-II.

Needless to say, all those amps are too many. Not to mention that my lady is eventually going to want some of that closet space back.

I'm going to do some comparison testing both through the DI's and through a mic this weekend.

Anyone out there have any thoughts?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Sell the V4bh and keep the others.

3. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

Keep the SVT.

4. I'll try to find a way to post mp3's of the tests later this weekend.

5. Definately keep the SVT-II, and probabally the Mesa as well for a bit of tonal variety should you need it.

6. Another idea is to the sell the SVT-II, and run the preamp out of the V4 into the Mesa's Poweramp in.

7. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    +1 if you have to sell. You will still have a great all tube amp and a good hybrid.

8. Yah, but then you don't get the tube power section. Maybe try using a power soak on the speaker out into the Mesa. That would probabally yield a more tubey sound.

9. Interesting idea...

What's a power soak? Do you think I could use it on the SVT-II to get a little more overdrive. At 'normal' playing levels, the volume is is only at around 10 oclock.

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    A power soak is a device that patches between your tube amp and speaker cab.

It has a bank of resistors that lower the signal going to your speakers,
    allowing you turn your amp up more.

I know of no power soak with a power rating high enough for your SVT-II (300 watts).

11. Nor do I, but why would you need it with the SVT-II? You aren't saving any weight, and the head has plenty of power...

12. ... a great way to kill a set of output tubes. Avoid them like the plague.

Since they are made for guitar amps, there aren't any power soaks that can take the 300 watts the SVT II puts out. If you need more grind, you could try a less efficient speaker cab like an Acme B2 with your SVT II. Your rig would be small, relatively light, and plenty loud and deep with an overdrive that won't break windows.

13. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'm confused...:confused:
    I guess I misunderstood your post when you said:

(quote)
    Yah, but then you don't get the tube power section. Maybe try using a power soak on the speaker out into the Mesa. That would probabally yield a more tubey sound. (unquote)

I thought you were referring to the SVT-II into a mesa cab. (I now see, he never mentioned what cab he's using)

Which one of his amps were you suggesting using the power soak with, The 600w solid state M-2000 or the V4BH?

14. I meant to use the power soak on the V4BH into the M-2000. That way not only would the preamp tubes be going into the Mesa power section, but the power amp tubes as well.

15. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Ok, (I'm not trying to be difficult here, just trying to understand all this..:) )

Would this scenario have the V4Bh running with a power soak, and without its own speaker cab? (I hope not) And then The V4BH line-out running to the power section of the M-2000?

Surely your not suggesting: V4BH speaker out > power soak > M-2000-power amp in.

Maybe my brains not working correctly today, what am I missing in this proposed set-up.

16. That is exactly what I am proposing. Power soaks bring a speaker out on a tube amp down to line level, while keeping a load on the output. That way, all of the tubes are still in the signal chain.

17. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

I've never heard of anyone doing this.

I just checked my old Sholtz Power soak, and its got a -32db setting, thats marked "phones". So I guess we are indeed talking a line level signal here.

Would a person need to measure the ohm load of the S/S power amps input jack, to determine how to set the ohm selector switch on the power soak, and what ohm speaker tap to use from the tube amp?

Your Idea intrigues me, I think you should start a thread on this subject.

18. I recall someone on the forum doing this some time ago. Its also popular among guitarists, especially when recording. A headphone out should be enough to drive a power amp, but on a soak designed specifically for this purpose the level should be about perfect. I believe the amp level also effects the hotness of the signal. I remember seeing some marketed with specific impedances, just for tube amps. You would need to match the impedances with the speaker jacks. A search on the fourm may yield a bit of info.

19. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    that's unfortunate to hear. I'd like to get a little of that tone at a lower volume out of mine... and I like my cab.

20. Keep the SVT-II, and if you want more drive out of it, try a Tech21 Sansamp BDDI, that wee pedal sounds amazing through an SVT-II, and can really help open up the amplifier, well, when i say open up, i mean give it a great sounding overdrive at lower volumes :)

Definatly keep the SVT-II, those things are awsome!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021