Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which should i upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by password, Jun 2, 2003.

1. password

password

Jul 28, 2002
    Im looking to upgrade bass or amp or both. I have a Ibanex gsr100 and a SWR LA-15 combo amp.

The bass i would upgrade to will probably be a Ibanez SRX500 for i play heavy metal like staind godsmack korn and cold. i think this is the bass godsmack uses anyways.
    Now if i get this bass will it make my amp sound better or is it cheap to. I might upgrade to a SWR workingman's 15 (200w)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Neither are big steps up; I'd wait and save up some more-this way you can get a bass or amp with a much higher quality rather than just a little more for your hard-earned money. Also, Ibanez doesn't mean great for metal, just because metal bassists use them. I'd try out everything to see if you find a sound you like better. I've played quite a bit of original metal in the past, yet I've never played an Ibanez I've liked or thought would be better for metal than other basses. Hope that made sense.

3. password

password

Jul 28, 2002
    The bassist from godsmake and dragpipe both play this bass. Its must not be a bad bass. I just don't know how it will help out my La-15

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'd consider a Spector Czech made 4 or 5 string. It will last forever and it's a great rock bass

Rob

5. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    I was in the same predicament that you are in. I decided to upgrade my amp because my $80 is actually still decent (well, after I put in new pickups and electronics). I just followed Miles Davis's advice: "If it's worth playing, it's worth playing loud.":bassist:

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Those bassists advertise for that bass; that doesn't mean they play it in the studio, and even if they did, they're probably playing it through a $60,000 mixing board that could make a Squier sound great. Also, there's nothing saying they know very much about basses; that Ibanez ad with Jason French of Switched has proven to the world that even guys who make a living off of it don't know squat about basses. Nevertheless, I'd go for a better amp first.