1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Simandl?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by smeet, Mar 29, 2013.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    For electric bass... I already have the "30 etudes" book. Is it worth getting the "New Method"? My reading and technique is already pretty good. I don't really need any help with 124 or 1234 fingering. What I want to do is really cement my knowledge of the full fingerboard in all keys.

Also, which edition? There is the red one with the english and japanese, the white one, the blue one, ...

Are they different? Does it matter?

And what does book 2 cover vs book 1?

2. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    I have used Book I, Book II and 30 Etudes while studying Double Bass. I hadn't really thought about using them for Bass Guitar. IMO, a lot of the first book is getting you used to playing in the different positions, with the 124 fingering, making transitions between the positions and playing with good intonation. For book I I often would play the exercise on keyboard and record it, then play along with it to work on my intonation.

So, for fretted bass guitar I don't know how useful Book I (Red) would be. It might be useful for fretless, but I don't think I'd be using Simand's fingering. Book II(white) might be useful, as it covers more of the fingerboard. I enjoyed the 30 Etudes, but had a CD version that had both Piano and Piano/DB versions. I liked playing the etudes with the piano accompaniment.

Other DB material that you might consider is the Bille series. For DB Petracchi's simplified higher technique provides some exercises to develop technique for playing in thumb position on DB.

Another option that you might want to consider is some of the material that DBists play: Vivaldi cello sonatas, etc. If you do get into this then midi versions of the accompaniment are available from Douglas Mapp. I prefer the Midi to the CD versions, because you can set the tempo wherever you like. Check out his website to see what he has available:
    http://www.douglasmappmusic.com/

I hope this is of some help,

Jim

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    That does help, thanks Jim!

4. I would second that, if you already have a fair bit of technical ability and are looking at finger/fretboard knowledge, the Simandl method book might not be the most efficient option. In addition to the books already mentioned, I would recommend:

12 Studies - Lee (Zimmermann edition)
    18 Studies - Kreutzer (Simandle-Zimmerman edition)

The 18 Studies especially will have you playing all over the neck.