Which singer should I pick?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have two choices, one is an amazing singer, but she may not be outgoing enough to do the job and lacks experience. The other is a good singer, but has more stage presence and personality than she could possible use up in this lifetime. She also has a lot of experience. Any advice/thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
  2. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I say get the better singer and give him/her a chance to become more outgoing or tell them what kind of stage persona would be ideal for you. I mean, I think it's better to give someone like that a cahnce because a perosn with a lot of confidece, etc. may not have such a hard time getting a different signing job anyway....
    but do whatever goes best with your type of band, I think. and some people that seem shy arent' really that shy on stage, so unless you've seen her preform in front of a lot of people, give her a try.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Which one gets along better with the you & the rest of the band? Is the outgoing, experienced one good enough to get the job done? Which one has goals that best align with yours?

I think you are down to the intangibles. My band fired a singer with a great voice and decent stage presence because of attitude. We are now working with one with a lesser voice but a superior attitude. You will be spending time with this person and if it's not fun then why do it. And that speaks to your goals. If you want to quickly get up to speed and play gigs then you can't beat experience (as long as the vocal quality is "good enough"). If your long-term goal is to "make it" then it may be better to go with the better voice and spend time developing the intangibles.

A lot of it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. My personal requirements order would be: compatible personality (good hang), compatible goals, compatible musical taste, vocal quality. Some of that is based on the fact that music is an avocation, not a vocation for me and priority #1 is having fun. If your priority #1 is making "the best" possible music than you may want the best vocalist possible (which may be for a very short time if the other things don't mesh).
  4. Experience comes with time, so i say take the first one.. maybe the 2nd one has more guts ( at the moment ), but if she's got too much ego.. no thanks.. not in my band :)
  5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    All true, I think I need to try them both out again, see if the first woman is more comfortable with us. The second one does not have any ego problems that I can see anyway, she is actually really funny. It's a tough choice, really, we all seem to get along without issue. Thanks for the input!
  6. pick the one that looks best :D
  7. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    lol, AllodoX

um, seriously, I'd pick the one you get along better with. If you're going to be bandmates, then you'll want as little friction as possible...

Pick the one whose taste in music best reflects the rest of the band's. I had a band break up because we had much too different tastes and couldn't agree on what kind of music to play.
  8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Good point, I have no idea what singer #1 or #2 currently has inside her stereo! I'll ask them both.
  9. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    No Problem. Good luck. :)
  10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks, everybody. I'm trying to do this, move, and set up eye surgery all at the same time, I worry about forgetting something crucial.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think you just explained cause and effect.

Once she gets some stage time under her belt, the confidence to be outgoing will come. She may need some prodding and some frank talk, but by seeing other women who front a band, she should get the hint.

Stage presence can always be developed. A great voice can't if you don't have the raw material to start with.

In the meantime, you other guys in the band could compensate.
  12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

True, I guess I shouldn't worry about that so much in her case.
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Funny thing, the woman who sings lead vocals in one of my bands has a shot of tequila just before going on and is really visual. Dance moves, facial expressions, really good stage presence.

Go to rehearsal, and you can see she's an introvert at heart. But, she likes getting paid decent money :D
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No brainer. First one.
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Yeah go with the one with the better voice. Her presence will develop over time and the other people in the band can make up for her lack of presence in the meantime.
  16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'll have to offer a dissenting opinion here. Based on my own experiences, I'd be more tempted to go with the one with the most stage presence, as long as her voice is "good enough". I've seen so many great singers that just didn't have personality enough to ever front bands and that, to me, is something that just can't be gotten over time.

Think about how many mediocre singers have hit the big time because they are entertaining and are singing good tunes...their vocal abilities are secondary (Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Dylan, hundreds others...). Audiences want to be entertained more than they want to hear outstanding singers (IMHO, most audiences aren't capable of appreciating a truly outstanding singer unless they're also good showmen/women).

But....all the above only applies if that person fits personality-wise, as others have wisely mentioned.
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I agree with Purple_Haze. :eek: Sounds like darn good advice. :) I don't think you should completely discount the experience of the other girl either. Some things can't be bought and experience is one of them. Other than that:

1) Music taste/Musical vision/Personality
    2) Ability/showmanship/Experience

I list them in what I think the importances are. But As you can see, they are all important.
  18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, after much reflection and listening to the tapes. We have decided to go with the first singer. The one with the amazing voice. She seems to be loosening up the more she gets to know us, and the vocal power is just phenomenal. Thanks all, your advice definitely helped.