Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which site to choose to buy ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Hi all..
    I need to buy a 2x10' cab.
    I'm intrested with prices on sites as thomann or musicman's friend.
    But.. they are the only two I know. Can you advice me other sites with the same service?
    I live in france..
    Thank you :bassist:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What brand of 2x10 are you looking to buy?

3. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    A few alternatives, with varying brands carried, that I've used:

www.music123.com
    www.samash.com
    www.zzounds.com
    www.thebassplace.com (best new Eden deals)
    www.readcustom.com (best new Aguilar deals)

A few others with good reputations (second-hand accounts):

www.bassnw.com
    www.basscentral.com
    www.chrisguitars.com (very good rep for used, good value)

I have also used Musician's Friend a lot, but I have had a recent bad experience - bad enough that I wouldn't deal with them for an overseas sale, since the return shipping would be very expensive (for instance, if they send something in "open box" that doesn't work).

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    <b>Musicians "Fiend" is horrible,</b> unless you don't mind waiting for it. I only use them for strings and accessories that I am in no hurry for, they have the best deals on stuff like that. <b>ZZounds is great,</b> I search them before I buy anywhere else. I have recently dealt with <b>Bass NW</b> and they are very good. The carry just about anything and they have great packaging skills.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Thanks to all for providing some new sites to drool over.

It was already bad enough with MF and Music123! :rolleyes:

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Remembering that Kelu is in France, does anyone know of european sites to visit. I don't know what the Bass Centre in London can/will do but that's the only one I've seen.

Kelu, I have a question. If you order a cabinet from the US or any other non-EU country, do you have to pay some sort of VAT (or equivalent) when it goes through French customs?

8. I try to give my business to those top dealers like Bass Northwest in Seattle and Bass Central in Orlando, Florida who really support the bass community. They also usually have the best prices on units that you know are correct (not demo or refurbished or B stock unless stated) and they do a lot of export business.

I think these dealers provide better, more caring service than the big corporate chain stores. I would assume there are similar shops on the EU.

Best Aloha from Maui,

Jonathan

9. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I dont know if I can buy in an american site.. I live in France, and ship cost might be huge ...
    Do you know how it works for exporting stuff from usa to europe ?
    Is it expensive??
    I dont know a lot of europeans sites.. one in fact..

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm sure that the shipping charges will be really, really expensive. If you lived in Poland, I've found a very cheap carrier, but they only go to Poland from a few cities in the US.

My question to you was about taxes, duties, etc. that the French government is going to charge you before you get your cabinet through French Customs.

I know that US made gear is really expensive in Europe. I assume that this is due to two major factors...freight costs to ship the gear there, plus government taxes that are added to the purchase price of items that you buy at the store. Here in the US, we have to pay what is called "sales tax" on items that we buy at the store. It ranges from about 4% to 10% depending on the local government. There are a few states, Oregon for one that doesn't have sales tax, but that's a rare occassion. I understand that in Europe, government taxes on goods can be much higher than our sales tax. I just don't know how the French government collects that, and when they collect it on goods shipped into France from a non-EU country.

It might end up that once you pay shipping from the US and import duties to the French government, the cost of the cabinet might be a lot more than if you had just bought one in Europe.

How are you taxed on goods that you buy in the UK and bring back through the Chunnel? Are you taxed? Perhaps a trip to London to the Bass Centre might be a good option.

Any thoughts?

And then you could always buy a nice used cabinet either locally or through a European eBay site...

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just checked a couple sites for shipping charges of a typical 2x10 sized package from Chicago to "France". UPS would charge about $320US for expedited shipping. The US Postal Service would charge about $190US for a 27Kg package and would deliver it in 4 to 10 business days.

I just had another thought...I'm not sure how many US made speaker cabinets bear the CE Marking. Also, I don't know if the French government looks for the CE Marking on a loudspeaker enclosure.