Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Skyline?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DougD, Jan 3, 2003.

1. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    If you had to make a choice, which Skyline would you choose? The 55-02 or the J. Osborne with the J-Retro preamp? And what would be the standout feature that would make you choose one over the other? I think the 55-02 would be more versatile because of the MM and J pups. What say you all?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think you definitley answerred your own question. I think the 55-02 would be more versitle, although I haven't tried a JO with the J-Retro preamp. The JO I played was just average in sound, maybe it was because it didn't have the J-Retro. The 55-02 was much better in my opinion and sounded just like the 55-94. If a vintage jazz bass sound is your thing though, get the JO. You probobly can't go wrong with either choice though.

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    True

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Bump.....Anyone?

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Doug, i know we spoke, but ive been thinking- i really think your first Lakland experience should involve the virtues of the 55-94 , which is exactly what the 55-02 has- its a super gig friendly machine-

6. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, I'd also recommend the 55-02 unless you're really looking for a vintage jazz bass vibe...

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think it really depends on the type of player you are and what you want to use the bass for. If you're more of a "modern" player with a high-end amp, like active electronics, slap, etc., then the 55-02 would be the way to go. It is also the most veratile of the two, as previously mentioned. Further, if you're considering a Skyline bass, I'm assuming that your budget won't allow for one of the U.S. models (or you just don't want to spend that kind of cash). Either way, I think it would be foolish to buy an inferior bass...compared to Lakland's U.S. line, and then spend more money to attempt to increase the quality of the bass.

I wrote a ton about the Skyline series before they were released ( so a search for those threads ), and I think that they are amazing basses, as compared to other imports and compared to U.S. Fender basses with which they are in direct competition. Still yet, while they aren't "cheap" by any strecth of the imagination, they are less expensive than Lakland's other line for a reason. If you aren't happy with the Osborne as is, and you decide to go with a jazz model with active electronics, you might want to think outside of the Skyline series. The Skylines are a tremendous value "as is". Once you start with the mods (changing pickups, electronics, tuners, knobs, pickguards, etc.), I don't think they are as good of a value anymore.

8. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Thank you all for your wonderfull words of wisdom:)
    I think the 55-02 has what i'm after:D