Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which slide?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jimbo, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone

just wondering if anyone used slides on bass. a friend of mine has a metal one for his guitar and i decided to fool around with it on bass. i got really ghostly sound out of it. i think it would be good for some coloring and effect suff. my question is, in your experience, which kind is better for bass, glass or metal? i do want to get that kind of wailing sound.

-jimbo

2. i would go with metal. i like to do a bit of "noise" jammin' in my spare time, and i get interesting reslts from various screwdrivers, wrenches, and coins. metal=cool.
    i, personally, wouldn't use glass; i'd probably wind up smashing it and cutting up my hands. i'm just that stupid.

3. I second that. I is stoo pud!! :confused:

:D

4. Whatever Mark Sandman from Morphine used on his homemade two string slide bass sounded pretty cool........

Fetch!

5. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I'll second the comment on Mark Sandman. He's in a class all by himself. Too bad he is no longer with us. Morphine was pretty unique as well.

I've experimented a bit with a glass slide and didn't like it. I don't like it much on guitar either though. It is very thin glass, and I think that is part of the problem

I'd guess that something with more mass would do better on bass. Didn't someone real famous use a spark plug socket tool as a slide? (Dang, I'm too old, I know who it is an have blanked on his name. Bonnie Raitt even sings a song about him. I'll remember sooner or later). I think that would work great. Maybe I'll try it out tonight.

Dan

6. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Memory kicks in - Lowell George!

Dan

7. I have and use both types on acoustic guitar, and on the few occasions I break out the slide for bass it's usually the metal one.

Glass sounds fine, it just has a different sustain and attack. I find the tonal difference is much more pronounced on guitar.

YMMV and all that.