which slide?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jimbo, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone

just wondering if anyone used slides on bass. a friend of mine has a metal one for his guitar and i decided to fool around with it on bass. i got really ghostly sound out of it. i think it would be good for some coloring and effect suff. my question is, in your experience, which kind is better for bass, glass or metal? i do want to get that kind of wailing sound.

2. i would go with metal. i like to do a bit of "noise" jammin' in my spare time, and i get interesting reslts from various screwdrivers, wrenches, and coins. metal=cool.
    i, personally, wouldn't use glass; i'd probably wind up smashing it and cutting up my hands. i'm just that stupid.
  3. I second that. I is stoo pud!! :confused:

4. Whatever Mark Sandman from Morphine used on his homemade two string slide bass sounded pretty cool........

5. DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I'll second the comment on Mark Sandman. He's in a class all by himself. Too bad he is no longer with us. Morphine was pretty unique as well.

I've experimented a bit with a glass slide and didn't like it. I don't like it much on guitar either though. It is very thin glass, and I think that is part of the problem

I'd guess that something with more mass would do better on bass. Didn't someone real famous use a spark plug socket tool as a slide? (Dang, I'm too old, I know who it is an have blanked on his name. Bonnie Raitt even sings a song about him. I'll remember sooner or later). I think that would work great. Maybe I'll try it out tonight.

6. DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Memory kicks in - Lowell George!

7. I have and use both types on acoustic guitar, and on the few occasions I break out the slide for bass it's usually the metal one.

Glass sounds fine, it just has a different sustain and attack. I find the tonal difference is much more pronounced on guitar.

YMMV and all that.