Which small cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Take a look at my rig and tell me what you'd use as a small (1X12, 2X10) cab for bar room size gigs. I'm finding my Ampeg 4X10 a bit much for small rooms/stages.

QSC RMX850 bridged mono = 830watts @ 4 Ohms.
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think a good 2-10 would serve you better since they are usually the same size as a 1-12, but can be used in situations that demand more volume than a 1-12.

Of course, this is just usually.

Id go with an Eden 210XST.

Great sound and solid flat low end response all the way down to 30 HZ from a small package. Pretty efficient too.

I have one and plan on getting another ASAP.

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    NICE RIG!..

that is all...

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'd go for an Acme Low B-2; very light (about 50lbs) and small for a 2x10"; not enormously loud but I'm sure it'll compete with any 1x12" (but you've got the Ampeg for being loud) but very deep and gorgeous sound, and 830W RMS will drive it beautifully. Plus, it's really cheap.

5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I play small bars and mid sized clubs too. I use a 2x12 (not what you were asking) everywhere. Seems to be perfect, plenty of tone and volume no matter what the situation.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I like my new "portable" rig.

It's the Avatar Compact 15 with it's matching 12. Each cab is pretty small and also weighs around 40lbs, so it's easy to carry. They also get pretty loud, and sound really good. I don't know how much fundamental low freq you get, but my ear likes it with my Ampeg heads (SVT400T and SVP + QSC RMX850).

There is a TBer selling his Avatar B15 and 210 cabs for $200 ea. You might think of those too, that would give you the flexibility of using the 15 if you want thumpy, 210 if you want articulate, and both if you want thumpy, articulate, and / or lots of volume.