1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which small combo amp to buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paulo67, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Paulo67

Paulo67

Jul 4, 2012
    Hi guys, new to this forum, this is my first post.

I have just started playing the bass and need a practice amp, i practice in a small room so don't need excessive volume and most of the time i will be listening through headphones.
    It was suggested to me that i should look at either the Fender rumble 30 or the Warwick BC 40, are these amps any good for a beginner or are there other amps i should be looking at.
    Only got around the £160 to spend.

Thanks in advance for any help on making a decision, it's much appreciated.

2. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    I think they're pretty good little amps. However, I do have to recommend a GK Backline 110. 70 watts into a 10" tilt back speaker gives you a lot to play with. I picked one up used off my local Craigslist for $60 (about £48 I believe?) recently and I love the thing to death. Just sayin. :D

3. If you're happy playing through headphones look into the Tascam bass trainer. No amp required.

Spending good money on a practice amp is really a drain on financing a gigging amp. Spend as little as possible.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 a headphone amp is all you need for now. Save your money for a bigger bass rig later on. The bass trainer will get you up and running cheap.

5. The trouble with a small practice combo is it's always too small to play with a drummer. Going from bedroom to garage is a huge leap in bass amps.

6. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    I've never really had an issue keeping up with my drummer with my little GK in a practice setting. Granted we are usually cramped in a small room and I like to tuck myself into a corner. I think the fact that we are a power trio playing mostly (mostly i say) progressive metal makes up for that though. I'm not overpoweringly loud mind you, but I am heard easily enough for us to practice and experiment well. YMMV as far as drummers go I guess. :D

7. Paulo67

Paulo67

Jul 4, 2012
    Cheers guys, i like the idea of the bass trainer it obviously has a lot of other functions that would be usefull later on when hopefully my playing improves.
    I'm a long way off playing with a drummer and really just wanted a small amp that i could crank up a bit when i've got the house to myself, i know a lot of amps now come with inputs for mp3 players and headphones.
    I will check out the GK backline 110 as suggested, there's so much great equipment out there it's hard for us newbie's to know where to start.

Thanks again guys. :)

8. You might be surprised how little time it takes to get to playing basic basslines with authority. Get stuck in.