Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which small practice amp is perfect for headphone use AND compu recording?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Feb 19, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    He folks,

I've been playing a while direct into the internal soundcard of my laptop and then connected to the headphones. (which is ok, but quite a hassle and I'm obliged to turn the computer on)

Now I want something compact and a bit low-cost. Just plug the bass in, connect the headphones and start playing. If it has a line out, that would be perfect too... but I prefer a firewire/USB out for recording digitally.

I know the Raven-Labs stuff (which unfortunately I can find only secondhand and in Holland almost impossible to find) but they don't have a digital out in some kind of way. On the other hand, we'll have for instance the Edirol EA-25 which is in fact nothing more then a soundcard with instrument input, a very specialized one.. it has for instance built in compression and limiting. But that thing has to be connected to a laptop for using.... and then you have the hassle thing goin' on again. Those two things (Raven and Edirol) are about 200-300 euro range and I was looking for something cheaper..)

What I'm looking for:

> 1 or 2 inputs
    > Headphones out
    > Digital out

Help me out! Thanks in advance..

(Perhaps this is too much a recording question, but I'm more interested in the practical sounddevices then the recording ok?)

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If all you are worried about is headphone and direct to PC recording, why not look into an amp simulator? I use the Johnson J-Station and find it perfectly adequate for this kind of role. It fits all the criteria you list, including the digital output.

In my studio it goes direct to the 828 MkII attached to my mac. I hear the output via my Truths and subwoofer. It sounds perfectly fine for both my guitar and my bass, and I can quickly record an idea without worrying about getting mics in place etc.

When I travel I just drag it along with a pair of headphones and I can practice anywhere I can plug it in. It even fits in my case. The station is (sadly) not produced anymore, but I've seen them in stock on several websites and I'm sure you could find one used on ebay.

Other options are the Behringer VAMP and the line 6 POD. I've never used the bass versions of either, but the guitar versions of each did impress me. The VAMP is much cheaper, and sounds it, but its still fine for most applications. The POD is VERY nice, I know several guitarists who use it or the XP Pro version exclusively in live performance righs (straight to the PA, no cabs or mics needed).

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I have a VAMP Pro.. it is very good... for the money it is VERY good.
    check out the behringer website for details. They can be picked up cheaply, but don't let that deter you.. they don't sound cheap.

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thanks guys.

I've been searching some Behringer things and I'm a bit attracted to the very small bassamp 'Thunderbird' (BX-108). It is a 25W 8" combo and only costs me 89 euros. I've a very nice rig standing beside me in the rehearsal room (which I also use on stage 'off course') but need a basic sound for at home. :smug:

It has a headhphone output too, tape in and out (for recording if you like... but I'm more thinking of plugging it direct in the soundcard) and hopefully it sounds ok. On Harmoy Central the reviews are quite positive. Not that it is a good amp for on stage (not even monitor) but why complain if it delivers a tone which is OK at home.

So would lose all the hassle when playing at home (laptop 'engaged'...ahum... pedalboard on, input in soundcard, output headphones... pff... too much work every time for only playing some notes you know) and won't be irritating neighbours and will be able to record stuff. Thanks again for your time. :cool:

I like the the design too... don't you? (be honest... for under 100 euro... who complains??) It reminds me of the Trace Elliot Velocette... - a real beauty in al its simplicity-... a 'shame' they didn't make it for bass. ;)

5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Forgot the picture... :p

[​IMG]

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Oh no, someone on TB is thinking of buying Behringer! I can hear the beating of 16 flaming hooves :rolleyes:

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    hmmm... trembling ground... I'm gettin' scary what happens next. ;)

8. Three years ago I did some A/B tests since I was looking for a similar tool. This is what I had to say back then (I still think I made the right choice... I love the Microbass).

If you only need a headphones practice tool I'd go with either a Bass POD XT, a Korg Pandora PX4B or the Korg Ampworks tool.

9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Alright... thanks a lot, since I have a fivestring now I know that I'm not going to buy the Behringer. :p

Yet another question. :ninja:

My eye caught the Ashdown After Eight.
    It's an 8" too,
    15W I believe,
    nice and small.
    Black carpeted
    and headphones out,
    external speaker out.

Not that I'm going to use that last feature... but can it be used for an output for using direct into the soundcard? :confused:

Nice 'retro-design' too... haha... (fits in the livingroom easily my girlfriend sad... isn't that worth something?? ;) )

Soundwise it should be good, there was a test with a few of those 'smallers' and it was the best buy. Included was a Fender, Behringer... and some others I believe. It only costs around 130 euro and I've had an Ashdown earlier (guitaramplifier, peacemaker 20) and it was very good. Convinced by the quality of the brand, I'm very curious to this one.

[​IMG]

Experiences/comments?

10. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I had a play thro a Roland cube 30 t'other day. awesome little fella, but I'm not sure what the spec was for recording purposes etc?
    maybe worth a view.. sorry if it has been mentioned already.. I was being lazy..!