1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Small Stone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chinguschild, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    So I am ready to pull the trigger on a new small stone. Unfortunately my local music store sucks. I have found sound clips that have me thoroughly convinced I need one.

The issue is is there any tonal differences between a USA Small Stone and the Nano Small Stone.

What drawbacks if any exist from buying one or the other. They are the same price.

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Get the nano. I was trying these out a couple af weeks ago and couldnt tell a differnce in em. The nano sounded great, plus its small with a 'normal' power adapter.

3. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Normal as in the boss style adapters?

4. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes.

Ive owned both. I have heard that the NYC has a volume drop. Mine was never like that.

peace

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    As far as I can tell, the Nano sounds exactly like the NYC version while being smaller and not having a volume drop. Other than digging the aesthetic, I can't find an argument of why to buy the larger version.

I've played an old vintage Small Stone that I thought was better, but of the two versions currently available new, I'd take the Nano, hands down.

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The Nano is great. I've had one for awhile now. Works great for bass and guitar.

7. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Well then I am convinced if not for the boss style adapter argument the fact that saving space on the pedal board is probably a good idea

8. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Plus the nano's seem to be more rugged feeling IMO.
    I dont really see any reason why you shouldnt get the nano. Great pedal.
    And yes the nano has the boss style adapter.

9. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Trying to convince guitarists that the nano one does NOT suck, does NOT have worse volume drop than the big one (in fact it has novolume drop, really) and is NOT "digital" sounding is a lost cause... :rollno:

10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I used to own the original USA model..

box was cumbursome..

I don't use effects.. when I did.. my preference was for smaller and more stout cases.

Tim

11. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, Éire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    +1 on the Nano SS

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Truth be told I've actually never seen anyone use the big version.

The Small Clone, however, is a totally different story.

13. i have tried them all, the best one imho is the green russian, i should never have sold that one.

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have a big/reissue Small Stone, and yes there is a volume drop because of its input impedance... but having a buffer before it solves that problem. I love it, but yeah the Nano version is convenient for its Boss style power jack.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How's the bypassing these days on the Nano? I had two old 70's Small Stones, and my biggest complaint about them was the bypass was horrible. But this phaser is so inferior in the Zoom B2 compared to it that I'm thinking about getting a Nano.

16. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Pretty sure it's true bypass on the nano.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It would be, wouldn't it? Yep, I feel I'm about to get sucked into the pedal vortex again. I buy a multi because I want a handful of decent sounds, but they're not as good as the pedal versions, so then I buy pedals and more pedals and next thing you know I've got a 4-ft wide board wired up. Then it craps out in the middle of a show and I have to bypass them, then afterwards I go put the pedals into a box and don't use them ever again. De-evolution in action.

And despite knowing how the story turns out, I'll probably have a Small Stone before the week's out ;)