Which soapbar setup ???(Bart vs Duncan vs EMG)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SubMonkey, May 10, 2004.

1. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Allright Gentlemen (and Ladies),

This is my first post here... soooo if this topic has been covered I'll gladly accept the pointer to said articles along with the advice to "learn to use the search function"... (I couldn't find the specifics I'm looking for though)

Here's my objective; A nice big growly (lotsa bass and low mids) rock tone from my dirt cheap Epiphone Les Paul 5 string bass... This instrument sounds pleasant acoustically and after a proper setup plays surprisingly well considering the sheer girth of the neck. The stock pickups (some brand tagged "Dual Rail") sound thin and unpleasant to me, kind of like the EMG-HZ's that find their way into most imports these days. They are an EMG-40 shape and I'd like to avoid any routing, this has narrowed my choices to the following setups;

Seymour-Duncan - : ASB2-5 neck and bridge and STC-2 band active EQ circuit

EMG - : EMG-40DC neck and bridge and BTC - 2 band EQ circuit (i'd take pointers here on the 40-p vs the 40-j etc.)

Bartolini - : 72M45C neck and bridge and NTBT 2 band active preamp

The price on these three setups comes within about $30 of each other so there's no clear winner based on price... One advantage of the Barts is that the passive pickups have all 4 wires accessable so I could split the coils for a more J like (?) tone when necessary....

If it was your rig what would you do ? Think big dirty rock tone vs. clear, pristine hi-fi tone.

2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi

I have the EMG 35 DC in my instrument, and would very much recommend those. I myself am however planning to swap them with EMG 35 TW which are both dual coil and single coil in one. (coil tap thing)
    Anyway, the DC has an excellent sound for rock IMHO. Lots of low end punch and it's clear enough to give a real bite if you play with a pick.
  3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I had the duncans you mention and got rid of them for sounding too hifi and thin. I went with Bart p2 dual coils and now have the fat beefy tone I wanted.
  4. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
  5. I should point out that because WD is the forum sponsor of "Setup", TB members get an additional 10% off of Kent Armstrong pups at already pretty good prices.
  6. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Of the three you mentioned, I'd go for the Barts for the low-mid growl. I have the SD Basslines, and they don't growl too well at all. I think same goes for EMG, but I don't have a ton of experience with them...

Good luck!
  7. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well, time to follow up.... I did bite the bullet and order up a pair of Barts and the 2 band preamp

The good folks at best bass had them at my door in 3 days...

the tone is SLIGHTLY brighter that I was looking for but, hey... the treble knob goes down too...

All in all I'm very pleased with Best Bass's service and Bartolini's product....

8. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Really ?!?

Any idea how/where that's done ?
  9. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've heard that 2 DCs can be a bit harsh. A lot of people prefer having the EMG DC in the neck position with the CS in the bridge position. Also check out the TW series as it can be both the EMG 40J and the 40CS (dual coil) all-in-one.

10. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I think I'm gonna order a pair of Kent Armstrong soapbars for my 5 string. Well I can only afford one right now, I'll buy the other at the end of the project though, according to their specs they're both the same size so I'll make the routs with the same pickup until I've got enough money to afford the other one.