which song best shows off Les Claypool's skills?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jun 23, 2001.

1. I know there are alot, but if you could narrow it down to three or four, it'd be helpful. ;)
  2. Tommy The Cat, American Life, Jerry was a Racecar Driver (Sailing the Seas Of Cheese)

The Antipop (Antipop)

Shake Hands with Beef (Brown)
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    -Nature Boy

-Groundhog´s Day (live, see videoplasty)

-Frizzle Fry (gotta love that song... the outro is another whole song... heavy stuff!)

-Those damn blue collared tweekers (I HAVEN´T HEARD A LIVE VERSION OF IT THAT IS NOT DIFFERENT) every time is a whole new break and a solo, talent all around.

-SouthBound Pachyderm

-Tommy the Cat Live on Rhynoplasty (includes the awakening solo)

i know there are more but that´s all i remember now...
  4. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    A song that doesn't show off his talent but is my favorite Primus song is "On The Tweek Again" off Tales from the Punchbowl. But I'd say nothing shows off his talent more than Tommy The Cat, I don't care what anyone says, I love the Sailing the Seas of Cheese version the best, I love that little solo thing he does before he sings (in case you didn't know, Tom Waits does a larger portion of the vocals on the Seas of Cheese version) Say baby do you wanna lay down with me. Besides that, Nature boy has a real cool solo. So does Groundhogs day. I don't know what it is about "Toys go winding down" that impresses me so much, my jaw dropped when I heard that, he's beating the hell outta his strings with those crazy triplet things. In fact, the whole "Frizzle Fry" album is *IMO* the most impressive Primus album.
  5. Frizzle Fry was the first disk I heard by them. Sea of cheese was the first disk were I really started to like them a lot.

Greet the sacred cow is probally my favorite off the newest disk.
  6. Greet the Sacred Cow is the song I play for my friends to get them to like Primus! They like to jump around so... Anyways, Hey FrizzleFry, Toys isn't as hard as you think, you just have to lead with your ring finger, followed by your middle, then your index, try it it's really not that hard! :D See ya guys.
  7. Hamburger Train
    Tommy the Cat live
  8. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    HOW COULD I FORGET HAMBURGER TRAIN?! That's definatly a show of talent. Oh yeah and about "Toys go winding down" I can get the general sound but how does he get it to sound so "in your face" it's got a lot of force behind it. Is that overdriven or what?
  9. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    tommy the cat of course, and i really like fish on thats a rad song, and lots of the stuff on holy mackeral too.

about toys go winding down, i think the rythem is really 2 32nd notes then a 16th note. i play it like the paste said ring then middle then first. i keep my middle and ring together until right before the hit the string so i get the 32nd notes. its harding to explain than to do.
  10. tommy the cat off of rhinoplasty and the stuff off of the sausage lp is quite cool also anti pop sounds smart.

fish on
  11. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Yeah I can play toys go winding down (I figured it out by myself, which is rare) but it doesn't have the power behind it that Les puts behind it, that's why I'm thinking he does something different, maybe an effect?
  12. I don't think Les uses an effect on that one, besides a compressor. I think it's just his technique
  13. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    *Frizzle Fry shakes his fist with anger, pounds upon the ground, raises his fists into the air and screams...*

14. i dont know how many of you have heard this but i got an mp3 of a live solo during tommy the cat and it is really cool. he is everywhere on the bass.
  15. It's possible that that is the live version of Tommy The Cat off the album Rhinoplasty. The song he "solos" in is called The Awakening.
  16. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Tommy the cat.

but you needn't listen to the whole song. just fast forward until 2min 59 seconds. the little fill that follows pretty much sums it up.