Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which song gave you this love for the bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funk3108, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Funk3108

Funk3108

Jul 30, 2002
    Mine is Aeroplane_
    Versatile verses & strong 1 chord slapping choruses:)

2. I was really big into Type O Negative, Rush, Led Zep, Greatful Dead, and Phish when I got into playing bass.

I can't recall any song I heard that made me say "damn, I wanna play the bass."

3. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Its gotta be Bro Hymn by pennywise

-cap

4. the a capella version of "tommy the cat"

5. The God That Failed.

It's not hard or anything, but it sounds really cool.

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Had to be "My Generation" by The Who..

7. "If you want me to stay," by Sly Stone, er, Larry Graham. Blew my mind when I first heard it, haven't been the same since.

Mike J.

8. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    "Ramble On" - Led Zeppelin

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I felt I always wanted to play bass, even before I started playing guitar as my main instrument. Just now do I realize how much more bass is to me than guitar. I like both, don't get me wrong, but bass is the way.

At the time, some Metallica, Nirvana, and Allman Brothers. Yeah, what a clash with that 60s rock and 90s grunge...:p

10. I don't think that's Larry Graham. Larry Graham left Sly and the Family Stone before the recording of the album "Fresh," which that track is on. I'm pretty sure it's either Sly, himself, or Rusty Allen on bass.

11. I was a sophmore in high school and I was hanging out, drinking beer and partaking in other illegal activities that involved controlled substances, at a friends house who's parents were away. Someone popped in a tape of Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" and I sat down and just focused on the bass from beginning to end. I had some other experiences where I said to myself, "I should start playing the bass," which involved seeing a live band, but that was the first time I heard a recording and was totally captured by the bass playing...but cetainly not the last.

12. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Had to be "Cryptical Envelopment", now commonly known as "The Other One" by the Grateful Dead. I still play it today with as much enthusiasim as I did when I first learned it.

13. Hatian Fight Song by Charles Mingus. If you specifically want bass guitar then I'd say Tommy the Cat by Primus.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Wasted Years - by Iron Maiden I had been listening to Iron Maiden and really listening to Steve Harris when this song came out. It was sort of a timing thing, but it really got me fired up to play bass instead of just hold a bass and follow. I know it may not be the best song in the world to a lot of Maiden fans even, but somehow it really clicked for me.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Back when I was a kid, "Cosmic Slop" by Funkadelic made me worship the instrument, and "High Times" by Jamiroquai pushed me over the edge. I procrastinated for almost 20 years before picking up the bass.:rolleyes:

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    For me it was Jack Bruce playing on Cream's version of Crossroads. I'd grown up listening to it but then a friend in a band pointed out the bassline and I realised that bass was the way to go.

Alex

17. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    "Long Distance Runaround" by Yes.

18. "Carousel" by (dare I say it)...blink-182. That was in the blink days. But the intro is a very good bass part. 'Nuff said.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The first song I ever heard slap/pop in. With a friend like You by Reba Rambo.

20. The Eagles - Hotel california, RHCP - Soul to squeeze and Jamiroquai - Too young to die.