Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which song is making you mad right now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Feb 27, 2003.

1. I was just wondering, what song are you trying to learn right now, but having a lot of trouble with? One that you know you wont have today, or you wont have in a week. One that you know is your biggest challenge yet. So what is it folks? What is that song....

Mine right now is Rush - YYZ. I know I'll get it someday, but not anytime in the near future. *sigh* anyways, I don't think this post has been done anytime that I can remember, and thought it a great topic.

2. Well, lemme see......

Most, there's Bouncing With Bud, a piece I have to do for assesment in college. A standard, uptempo jazz piece, what's causing me trouble is the speed of the chord changes, and making up my own walking line over them. I know it's probably nothing to the more experienced jazz players here, but I'm only just starting to get my head around jazz, and this is still proving very difficult. I'm mostly rock, you see, much as it might limit me. Playing jazz is good for me, and I enjoy it..... it just hurts my head and my hands sometimes.

Kylie Minogue's Confide In Me is another one I'm having fun with at the moment. It's a song with a fantasitc drum/sub-bass groove, but because it's sub-bass (I think it's an octave down from what I'd play on my bass) it's really difficult to make out the notes to play. *And* I know that there are wrong notes to play, because I've managed a lot of them so far.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor's (version of) Take Me Home is another I'm having trouble working out. It's got one of the best grooves I've ever heard, I'm just not finding it easy to work out. I think I've got the chord progression, but then there's all the passing notes (hello key, goodbye key) to play with. Very much fun. Actually, most of the Read My Lips album is very fun, basswise. Check it out.

And lastly (to regain some cred after all that pop:rolleyes: ) there's a load of Magazine stuff I've been trying to work out. Maybe because their bassist's sound was just so un-bassy, or because he could wander around a relativly punk song so well, I don't know. But there's a couple of bits in songs I have otherwise (Light Pours Out Of Me, Feed The Enemy) that I just cannot get.

I'll get 'em someday. It'll just be the day I don't need to get 'em:rolleyes:. And I put way too much effort into that, I think.

3. i'm getting mad with my own stuff. or actually, the lack thereof. i can't write crap. argh.

4. grr i want a real answer man! a real answer! just kidding, but come on, theres gotta be something?

5. well, a while ago i tried to learn "santeria" by sublime. for some reason i just couldn't get it. so i gave up. same thing with "date rape". i dunno; it's hard to get eric wilson's lines down; the man ain't called the god of thunder for nuthin'.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  7. Steve-O18

Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Right there are two songs i am trying to learn
    First, A change of seasons by Dream Theater, it's got some hard riffs (well, for me anyways ) and it's 24 minutes long so it requires stamina.
    Second, Prelude in G major by bach, i have to learn this song and play it for my music course, it's a challenge i tell you what

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey! I'm having trouble with "Complicated." Do you think this means something?

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yes. It means Avril Lavigne's a musical prodigy! Bach? Pff... Beethoven? Pff... Jaco? Pff... They've got NOTHING on Avril!

:D
    :rolleyes:

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oh yeah...my biggest challenge lately:
    I've been jamming with a Dave Brubeck CD, trying to improve my improv style, but it just ain't happening.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Round Midnight".

I'm not really having trouble with it, I just need to tighten up the rhythm.

I'm also very tempted to learn all the basslines on the Neville Brothers' Yellow Moon album.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sorry to sound stupid or stuck up, but you guys ARE kidding about having trouble with the Avril songs...right..RIGHT???;)

Personally I am taking a short vacation from part of "Ramble On"..the verse is no problem, but the chorus is messin with me....

13. Baba O'Reily, I am positive I can play it, but I can't say why it is making me mad because if I did I may get beat up.

14. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    castles made of sand by jimi hendrix........sure its not 138 minutes long but didnt the guy invent wah, and that thing called 'feedback' which he could use to his advantage unlike most musicians I know of.

Lukas

15. That's funny...Avril Lavigne and Sk8ter Boi are exactly what immedieately came to mind when I saw the title of the thread (although I misinterpreted the meaning of 'making me mad')!

...and she was completely robbed at the Grammys. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how much great music doesn't even get shown on the prime time portion of the Grammys.

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The song that makes me the maddest right now is "Hail To The Chief".:rolleyes:

17. Duncan Sheik - "On a high"

Not because the bass part is tough (piece of cake actually), the tough part is convincing my band to play it!!! :mad::mad: They're dragging their feet about learning the song. I feel strongly about adding the tune to our setlist because it fits our band well, and the local clubs well. I sooo dig infectious hook/bounce/groove thing about the song. Not to mention that most females dig the song when they hear it on the radio, or on our breakmusic(they usually get the dancefloor warmed up):D

Re: Rush YYZ - me and high school buds used to play that one. It is definitely a handful, Todd - I respect and admire you for learning this one!!!!! :bassist:

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    TEEN TOWN!!! :mad: I'm pretty decent when I play it slowly. When I try it at normal speed, the wheels come off! This and doing "Killer Joe" using the two hand tap technique. When I get to the change, I just start to lose it. :confused:

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    "Kiss" by Prince.

20. Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) By Metallica

Man, cliff burton is one crazy fool. i just recently discovered the tab and have gotten about half of it down, but sometimes i think cliff burton HAD to have used to be a guitar player, the stuff he does on bass is inhuman in that song.