1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Songs From Your Childhood Influenced You The Most?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Nov 7, 2010
    Do you have any specific songs that you listened to as a child (under 10 years old) that you later realized greatly effected your taste in music many years later?

If so, I'd love to hear which songs, your stories, and how they influenced you as a musician in your adulthood.

Here's my story:
    I was born in 1984 and listened to whatever was popular or around me at the time (Michael Jackson, New Wave, video game soundtracks, etc), and since I don't go out of my way to listen to that stuff anymore, I just thought my taste in music evolved as I did...

Until a few months ago when I got the urge to dust off an old movie that I used to watch a LOT when I was a kid, and I'm talking probably several times a week for maybe a few years... It was the Transformers 1986 animated movie.

I was super happy to watch this old classic, but once I started it, I was more interested in listening to the score than I was to watch the movie itself. I sang along to the melodies (and especially the basslines) pretty much the whole time, somehow remembering it all, as if it was still fresh in my mind.

For those that don't know this soundtrack, while it has some very cheesy 80's songs, its score (especially during battle sequences) is extremely energetic and reminds me of some of my favourite Prog Rock. I later found out the composer, Vince DiCola is a huge ELP and Yes fan, which would explain it.

The funny thing is that this style of music is my absolute favourite music today (Yes, ELP, etc).

The basslines in these songs were also the most memorable aspects of the songs (to me), and they very likely influenced me to pick up a bass guitar many years later. Also, while the entire soundtrack was recorded with synthesizers, the bass sample/tone is very close to what I like out of a bass tone today (a little distortion, and a lot of punch).

Its just amazing to me that I forgot about this movie and then come back to it 20-odd years later and realize its music is similar to what I listen to today, and completely encapsulates what I want my music/playing to sound like... Since then, I've gotten the whole score, sorted it in order of appearance, and I frequently listen to it as I drive to work and such... And yes listening to Stan Bush's "Dare" at full blast in my car can be little embarrassing at times, but I don't care... I friggin' love that song.

Here's a couple tunes from the movie:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Beautiful harmonies, soaring guitar solos, driving rythym section.

I was born in '84 as well. From 9-12 this game was pretty much all I played.

BassLover668 and Matthew_84 like this.
  3. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I was born in '62 - the two songs that would influence my under-10-year-old self the most musically were "Sex Machine" by James Brown and "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" by Sly and the Family Stone.

Those two songs provided the blueprint of funk for me and so many of my generation. I'm still hooked on funk, and always will be!

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    As a child of the 70's, I grew up listening to Top 40 on WABC out of NYC. These two songs epitomize the roots of my listening:

I clearly remember lip synching this one into the mirror in my Mom's bedroom while listening on the clock radio, oblivious to the meaning of the lyrics. This song began my love of rock and roll.

My favorite band in grade school! I was so happy to spend birthday money on a powder blue t-shirt with a band logo ironed on at the local carnival! I remember seeing this song performed live on the Merv Griffin show.

What's notable all these years later is that both of these songs had memorable bass lines.

5. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think I've played that game, but old video game soundtracks are awesome!

This one I think influenced me a lot:

As did this:

Jloch86 likes this.
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Nov 7, 2010
    Nice! The first song I remember lip-synching and dancing to was:

Unfortunately, the only thing it influenced were my eating habits!

COLDGLU and steamthief like this.
  7. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Nov 7, 2010
    I am jealous of you guys growing up in the golden age of funk! I like funk a lot, but I never heard it as a child.

I do remember loving this commercial as a kid, which I'm sure triggered my life for Motown:

FilterFunk and steamthief like this.
  8. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    made me think seriously about life and the reality of death. when you die, you're dead forever... death is the only reality

9. Lesgo

Lesgo Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Also born in 1984. My parents gave my brother and me a Beach Boys cassette tape that we wore out when I was very young. I consider this to be a great blessing.

10. Under 10? The Monkees and the Beatles TV cartoon which confirmed I was a rocker early on. I liked the Partridge Family music/show, and my very 1st 45RPM single was Joy to the World from Three Dog Night - all which led me to learning guitar. That didn't work out due to my slightly larger fingerprint, and threw in the towel after 5 years ..... I was so bummed! At age 20 I was at a friends kegger party with a live band, and the bass player let me try out his Ric ..... it was love at first strum! I was sooooo excited! I loved those fat strings, the long neck, and my finger tips weren't too wide for the spacing at the nut.

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    80's hair metal. My mom had a silky bathrobe that looked just like something Poison would wear on stage. I would wear it and jump arou-- I mean... my friend would wear... errrrr...

12. Vic Bass

Vic Bass

Jul 22, 2015
    Thump City

thumped a broom to this as a kid

13. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Inside Looking Out off the GFR live album, my older brother was blaring in the bedroom across the hall. I can still smell that incense smell, that always went hand in hand with the blaring.

14. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    By the way by rhcp came out when I was 5 and someone in my house bought the cd. I remember listening to it a lot and then I got back into them in ninth grade.

Matthew_84 and steamthief like this.
  15. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    I was born in 1966. Parents had a high-end stereo system and an impressive album collection so there was always a lot of music in the house. In 4th grade I got my own record player. It was such a great feeling having control over my own music. Three of the first albums that I bought were The Edgar Winter Group "They only come out at night", Boston (first one), and Foghat "Live". The music on these early favorites definitely influenced what I would like in the future, how I played and influenced my own song writing.

16. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Couldn't possibly narrow it down. I just learned, this was Walt's first villain song. Had a huge impact on me, very early on, did Pinocchio, by Jiminy :)

Lots of this sort of stuff - loved Val,

Lots of TV with a musical bent, like Sesame Street, Banana Splits, Mickey Mouse Club, Young Talent Time, Smokey Dawson, Gene Autry, GTK, Sounds Unlimited… And so many amazing movies with songs like this - too much music :D,

Matthew_84 and squidtastic like this.
  17. As a child? Serendipity Singers - Don't Let The Rain Come Down (Crooked Little Man) - 1964. My parents rented a room to a cabbie named 'Speed' and he used to always come down and play that record on our stereo. I was probably 9-10 and it seemed like a real catchy tune. Later when I was 10 The Beatles came along and my first 45 on Capitol records was Can't Buy Me Love and You Can't Do That on the flip side. I still got it!

18. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    The Logical Song and Breakfast in America by Supertramp and REO Speedwagon's High Infidelity have had a lasting effect on me.

19. BillyH

BillyH

Feb 14, 2009
    Louisiana
    I was born in 55, I was fortunate enough to be of high school age in the 70's... the decade of good music. Two bass lines from the group Chicago stand out and I still play them weekly. The simplicity in the bass part in color my world is just amazing. If one note was added to that song it would be ruined. Then it's the up and down driving G scale in Does Anybody Know wat Time it is just speaks to me. I love it. Then the one I listen to for inspiration is the funky 16th note driven bass line of What is Hip by Tower of Power.... it's so funky I laugh when I hear it. I only WISH I could play that part...Hell, I wish I could just figure it out...

Matthew_84, ak56, rjmsteel and 3 others like this.
  20. BillyH

BillyH

Feb 14, 2009
    Louisiana
    Oops!!! I see now. Under 10 years old. Has to be I want to hold your hand.... Beatles

Matthew_84, ak56, Pdaddy1978 and 2 others like this.